gas light and fill up question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
does anyone let their truck get to where the gas light comes on? i just bought my 2015 not long ago and wondering if it matters to fill up sooner? the distance to empty on new vehicles is really accurate from what i heard. i know on the older cars and trucks it was said never let it get below a quarter tank.... does it matter on vehicles now a days...?

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't matter, the gas light is a warning for you. To be honest since the fuel pump is always cooled by the fuel it sits in, I usually never let my truck go below a 1/4 tank just to get longevity out of the pump. Will it hurt to go to empty every once in awhile...absolutely not. Make it a habit of staying on empty and be one of those people who like to fill up $10 at a time, you are asking for trouble.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a Chebby or 2 that ate fuel pumps,,, best to keep it above a 1/4 or more in those vehicles. Since that time, I make it a practice to seek fuel at a 1/4 tank regardless of what I drive.

The wife, on the other hand, 'lives' by DTE, and she'd rather make a special 'extra' stop when she's down to fumes during the week coming home from work late than to fill up while she's out running errands the weekend before,,,

Some things you just can't explain,,,

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I wouldn't worry about it with the big fuel reserve these trucks have. I usually fill up every 2 weeks to try and use my Kroger points at Shell so they don't expire monthly. Gas mileage is bad but I don't drive very far so 2 weeks of driving doesn't even have the light on but it won't hurt. Some cars seem to be more accurate with when the light comes on and how much gas goes back in, much closer to empty.

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I've never even seen the gas light come on even when I try. Frankly I don't even know what it looks like in this truck...

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never even seen the gas light come on even when I try. Frankly I don't even know what it looks like in this truck...

same here. i've never gone under 1/4 but i have the big tank so it takes longer to get it low. i really hate seeing the price to fill up so really i try to fill it from half as much as possible

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What gas light????

I'm a 1/2 tank filler upper.

I'll rather have fuel in my tank and be able to get to where I'm going; rather then being stuck somewhere, because I ran out of fuel, due to unforeseen circumstances.

Power goes out, when you need to pump gas. Stuck on the highway because there is a crash and you can't get off, That kinda thing.

By no means am I a "prepper" but I like having a safety net, especially one that easy to have and maintain.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wife, on the other hand, 'lives' by DTE, and she'd rather make a special 'extra' stop when she's down to fumes during the week coming home from work late than to fill up while she's out running errands the weekend before,,,

Some things you just can't explain,,,

Man this is my girl to the t....she'll have the tank damm near on empty every time if she can before filling up. And then!....she only puts like 5-10 bucks in when she does stop.

FuzzyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run it until the light comes on. Have done so with all my vehicles. I hate spending time at the pumps.

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A question to ask is, "how many more miles are left when light comes on?"

IGarbutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
100 km once the light comes on unless you have a really heavy foot, i believe thats around 65 miles

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have tested it out. Light comes on with around 40 miles to empty. I have put 25 gallons in it, and it's a 26 gallon tank. There is not 4 gallons left when the light comes on.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
i have tested it out. Light comes on with around 40 miles to empty. I have put 25 gallons in it, and it's a 26 gallon tank. There is not 4 gallons left when the light comes on.

The owner's manual says 3 gallons. It does not specify if this is for the 32 or 26 gallon tank. Based on my observations with the 32 gal tank, it's referring to the 26 gallon.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It doesn't cost any more to run with your tank full than it does empty.

Well, not really....if the tank is full, your carrying around an extra 162 to 198 lbs. :)

but, as to what I think you meant, it doesn't matter if you fill up once for 100 bucks, or 10x @ 10 bucks, you'll use the same amount of gas, and take the same amount of time doing it.

but the latter will have you standing at the pump much more.

And yes, I did let the light come on when I 1st got the truck...to see just how far I could go if needed. I got down to only 16 miles till empty, and was afraid to go any farther....and that was way past the light coming on. Don't remember how much gas I put in to refill it.

Last edited:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It doesn't cost any more to run with your tank full than it does empty.

That's not true here. Gas goes up 20 to 30 cents every weak here. Then it comes back down. Plus I'm not going to stop and put gas in Mine , when it still has gas in it. That fall's under it's your own choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professionalish