Gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have 3.92's and specifically shopped for them... it's all about what you want the truck for

Yes of course. The problem occurs when a person thinks they're getting something that they're actually not.

If you "want the truck" to offroad better and/or run larger tires, the 3.92 will help you out.
If you "want the truck" to drag race your buddy from a dead stop all while pulling trailers, the 3.92 will get you off the line quicker.
If you "want the truck" to run up the 8 minute Eisenhower tunnel quicker, the 3.92 will have the exact same speed as the 3.21.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
There is no difference (when empty) in acceleration unless you're WOT; what you're noticing is the speed (time in seconds) it takes for each truck to up shift from first, since the 3.92 will reach higher rpms first and upshift sooner, it will feel like the truck is going faster/easier. Each truck has gobs of power available. If you feel the 3.21 isn't speeding up fast enough just push the pedal down harder, problem solved.

The 3.92 is not needed unless you run bigger tires and/or have the payload available to pull something > 8000 pounds.

And when I'm pulling my trailer with my 3.21, first gear is never a struggle. I have never once thought "I need more power" when towing in first. My RPMs are always very low, 2500 max. Third and fourth, that's where the weight begins to bite as I'm usually trying to accelerate on an on ramp or pass etc and they can jump up to 3500 - 4000. But first gear is literally the easiest of all gears for the truck to be in, I see no point in trying to make it even easier, that's not going to make me want to pull a bigger trailer. And quite frankly, feeling 7000 pounds behind my 5th gen I'm not sure it's even safe to go beyond 8000 regardless of what the specs say, that rear end can get squirrely at times.
Agreed! Where I live I have to drive nearly two miles up a steep road with hairpin curves on the steepest sections. The fastest safe speed thru the curves is 10 mph. Seriously. The 3.92 ratio makes climbing this monster with a 8,500 pound trailer easy enough that it can be done without locking the transfer case in 4wd low on a paved road. It also makes coming back down with such heavy trailers less scary. It doesn't do much at high speed.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
you may want to check that again..the tans website shows 5 for the 8HP75 trans in mine. 4.714 for the 8HP70

Last edited: