Got a weird thing happenin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a stethoscope at home and they work great, but for impromptu use, a long screw driver or a long 3/8" extension works great and transmits sound better than wood does.

A stethoscope is an excellent tool for tracing the noise source of a failed bearing set but, the longest rod with mine is only about 8" long.

Often, that results in the necessity to have my face far too close to moving parts, for my liking.

That's when I break out the short broomstick handle that lives somewhere in the garage and a plastic bottle from the recycle bin. :cool:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
A stethoscope is an excellent tool for tracing the noise source of a failed bearing set but, the longest rod with mine is only about 8" long.

Often, that results in the necessity to have my face far too close to moving parts, for my liking.

That's when I break out the short broomstick handle that lives somewhere in the garage and a plastic bottle from the recycle bin. :cool:

My stethoscope has an extension, the rod can be made to be nearly 15" long. You can also order and extra 8" extension if that still isn't enough or order two, they are only about 15 bucks, and use both extensions on one if you can't find the extension as a standalone. Ordered the one I have off of Amazon a few years back. Don't see it listed now. Similar idea below.

1700327727253.jpeg

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My stethoscope has an extension, the rod can be made to be nearly 15" long. You can also order and extra 8" extension if that still isn't enough or order two, they are only about 15 bucks, and use both extensions on one if you can't find the extension as a standalone. Ordered the one I have off of Amazon a few years back. Don't see it listed now. Similar idea below.

That stethoscope looks like the cheapy unit I bought from Princess Auto, years ago.

I looked a bit closer and saw the longer extension threads onto the shorter one providing about 11.8" reach. I know it's occasionally still too short.

stethoscope.jpg

I don't use it very often because, as you said, if I'm working on a vehicle, a large screwdriver often works quite well.

Maybe, I could find a longer rod from the hardware store and tap it to thread into the brass ferrule. My local CTC has a huge collection of thin steel rods. hmmm

stethoscope 2.jpg

OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a stethoscope at home and they work great, but for impromptu use, a long screw driver or a long 3/8" extension works great and transmits sound better than wood does.
No good with the distence from the grill height down to tensioner pully