H pipe or x pipe help reduce clapper exhaust noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Sounds like you have a single exhaust (stock Y-pipe left the left and right engine banks and was joined into one pipe) and two tail pipes. Some systems up at the firewall end after it join in a single pipe split back into two again. H-pipe was designed to help balance the engine usually increases torque/HP. X-pipe is just a newer and improve design. Put mufflers on it!!! For above listed reasons. NOISE does not egual HP, especially in the 2,000-4500 range which is where 99% of us operate our trucks. At a drag strip open exhaust will increase HP/Tork, at wide open throttle , BUT NOT MIDRANGE . at a drag strip your foot is on the floor, not so on the street!

greenakerz63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the X pipe sounds like it will help mine also. i am looking at long tube headers with cats from American truck with true duals. I got my truck and it had no muffler on it and sounds nice. I like glass packs on it if i need mufflers.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has the clap. LOL. Its at low rpm under load which then transitions into hell unleashed…Longtubes w/3” catted midpipes that run the length of the crew cab then Y’s into a 18” MF and out through dual 2.5”…I find it mildly annoying to hear this but find myself trying to make it appear.

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a thought. When I has duels installed on my 97 5.9 the muffler shop installed a “twister muffler” like that used on race cars. Totally eliminated the blappy sound and now have deep rumbling sound. Could not be happier.

BrenttheMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard that crossing the pipes is vital for any dual straight-piped vehicle. Anyone know why?

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I've heard that crossing the pipes is vital for any dual straight-piped vehicle. Anyone know why?
It's not "vital" per se, but it helps with the scavenging effect. Scavenging is what helps pull the gasses out of the combustion chamber after the combustion cycle. Stepped primary tubes and scavenging spikes in the collectors of headers and also cross pipes (either H or X) help speed up the exhaust pulses and pull the combusted gasses out of the combustion chamber. That also allows more fresh air to be pulled in when the intake valve opens. It helps the engine be more efficient and more powerful.

Last edited:

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Do not know what a "twister" muffler is. It may be something that person said to describe what he sells? Most manufactures of performance systems sell what they call "baffled" or "chambered". Depending how a muffler is baffled or chambered effects it ability to reduce noise and increase flow and scavenging in the "EXHAUST SYSTEM". Chambered usually cost more BUT helps in reducing noise, and increasing scavenging. Chambered also will not change over the miles. Baffled mufflers can be baffled with metal and/or fiber material, and WILL change tone/sound over the miles! Either can increase USUABLE power, at the "designers" desired RPM range. Take notice BEFORE you buy at what RPM range that YOU drive YOUR vehicle. Talk to someone at the company about your vehicle, what you will be using it for. My ram is a 1500, reg. cab., long box, 5.7, 6spd auto, 3.55's. I only added a K&N series 63 air intake (63-1561) and a MBRP single tail pipe -cat. back (S5142409) (they say the system has "moderate" sound) to the drive line. other "stuff" to the lighting and cab comfort. I average 16.9 - 17.5 mpg THE WAY I DRIVE. yours will vary. at cruising speed it is almost as quiet as stock, stick your foot into it and the truck "wakes up a bit". Research what you buy so that you get the results that you want. REMEMBER "loud" DOES NOT MEAN increase power, it only has to do with "NOISE LEVEL"! They do not make exhaust pipe out of 6' dia. tubing as it an engine WILL NOT fill the pipe. If it can not fill the pipe it will NOT ad in pulling the exhaust out-which as it comes out it will "draw" the next mixture in.

Last edited: