Ticking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a little bit of an odd noise after doing headers, I'm not totally sure if it is related to the header tubing since it doesn't sound like others I've heard. Although there aren't others around here with modified cars/trucks..

I'm going to try to detail everything I've done. It's a built forged 5.7 stock bore/stroke, mahle pistons and rings, molnar rods. I get quite a bit of piston slap but that's a more "hollow" tone I'd call it. 6.4 truck intake, the bolts were loose within 5000 or so miles. Long tube headers no cats, x pipe and dual single chamber mufflers. 392 car cam, non mds lifters, New valves, new mopar performance springs, 040 cometic head gaskets, custom routed the intake tubing. Used stock 5.7 injectors with spacers, 8 speed swapped as well.

Now the "fast ticking/rattle sound comes from the driver side exhaust pipe/header tubing only. Not the passenger side. I have a couple videos of it I will link those. I've run the stethoscope everywhere I can and can't pinpoint the location of the sound. Valve covers, block, heads, oil pan etc. Also did smoke test the exhaust front to back and can't find a leak, also make a stethoscope with copper tubing so I might hear some air escaping and nothing. I even ran it across the header Flanges and tubing. Cannot find a leak.
When driving with windows up I hear the ticking sound that's usually related to a flange or manifold bolt leak inside the truck. Can't find any problems with scan tool or datalogs with hp tuners. Fuel trims seem fine and wideband readings seem stable.

Around 2500-3000 rpm seems to be completely gone, but it could be that it's so loud I can't hear it anymore..

I hope I didn't miss anything here. Just curious if anyone else has had the same sound and is it ok or if there is a problem I should address?

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know what to say but that doesn't sound like piston slap to me at all, sounds almost like a diesel/cummins idling away. The other high pitched light tick could be injectors or a very small leak, if you just did headers that's where I would look first. Or maybe those headers are just more noisy.

Maybe @Wild one has some ideas here?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sounds like normal header and injector noises. Wrapping them would help ,other then that,you're pretty well stuck with the noises