had an idea for my hood...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So...saw this youtube video and it got me thinking..PlastiDip Your Entire Car - NEW Sprayer - Pro Car Kit from DipYourCar - Matte Black GTI - YouTube

hopefully I inserted it right...

I am going to have my hood off here pretty soon, and some of the clear coat has been ate through..download.jpg

So I was thinking..instead of fooling with that ****...why not try claying it and then dipping the whole hood and maybe the top of the cab cuz thats the only place with oxidation/clear coat damage? I think dip can be had in matte black as well as gloss..

so what do yall think?

Last edited:

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't see why that wouldn't work...I think you should do a write up and keep us posted if you end up doing it!

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I'm really considering it! I might do it and if I don't like it..just peel it off.

Tapatalk Addict

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol Ive been thinking about doing the same thing with at least the top of the cab. I never saw that video though... I was just thinking about doing the stuff in the can

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I might just do the stuff in the can also considering my hood will be off

Tapatalk Addict

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've tossed the idea around of doing my roof too. There's not much, if any, clear left on it at all

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
sounds like they cheaped out on the clear on a few trucks -_- prob just a few cans..think I will try it..idk if I have seen a gloss black at the store..I might have to pick it up online or something..

or what do yall think about it in matte?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just think mine never got waxed from the previous owner lol. At least nothing more than you'd get from a drive thru car wash. I've never seen plastidip in a gloss finish. I thought you had to buy the dip then the glossifier separate

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I just think mine never got waxed from the previous owner lol. At least nothing more than you'd get from a drive thru car wash. I've never seen plastidip in a gloss finish. I thought you had to buy the dip then the glossifier separate

now that I think about it my dad prob never waxed my truck either when he had it haha and your prob right about the glossifier, I'll look into it

Tapatalk Addict

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Im just goin to throw out a wild guess that it's something to do with what's in the rain in Texas and black paint and not wax (although I'm sure it could have prolonged it)
I know I see several black Mitsubishi eclipse around here that have the same problem you guys are talking about and I know it's caused by the acid and other crap still in the rain from the "steel city"

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well they had a recall on the black paint they used on the 3rd gen eclipse. My buddy got his repainted free because of it.
I think there is a hole in the ozone layer right over Texas lol

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Pretty much every 2nd gen I see here has oxidized paint and peeling no matter what color lol

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
lol damn Houston texas..well iv decided
I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll be sure to get some pics for y'all.

Tapatalk Addict

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A member of club who was also a member here dipped his whole gen3...it didnt work out too well when he started trying to take it off.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I just figured I could try a few cans of 5 bucks a piece plastidip before I go the expensive way and get the good repainted.

Tapatalk Addict

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, yours is doing the same thing that my Gen2 did...Ive seen a couple of early Gen3 trucks do it too. I have just come to the opinion that the paint and clear that Chrysler used in the early 2000's and earlier is just ******. Oh and remember the custom Maaco lifted Ram I posted? That paint job was $1600

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah I'd have to agree with you on that one, cuz you can see how many different places it's happening.

Tapatalk Addict

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol damn Houston texas..well iv decided
I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll be sure to get some pics for y'all.
Sweet, I know ill be doing the top of the cab because you cant really see it anyways. Just havent decided on the hood yet...

A member of club who was also a member here dipped his whole gen3...it didnt work out too well when he started trying to take it off.

Was that the RCSB 06-08, I think ive seen pics of it before. How many layers did he put on it?