Hear me out.. Does a Pedal Commander really work??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I definitely know our trucks have a little bit of pedal lag. I know all the different options that can "get rid of it" and everything. But I've thought about buying a PC and here's my thoughts and I want to know who agrees with me, and if you disagree, with me why do you think I'm wrong?

I'm my profession (network engineer) your connection is only as fast as the slowest link. I believe that carries over to a lot of different things and I believe this is one of them.

I could be wrong in this and correct me of I am but the PCM reads the throttle position sensor and tells the throttle body to open up to whatever percentage.

Now if this is true then you will always be tied to how fast can the pcm read the sensor. How fast can it tell the TB to open up and then how fast can the truck responds to the TB opening up.

I'm my opinion plugging a device into the pedal itself can't make every other device react faster unless every other device is programmed or changed to read faster.

Am I correct in my thought? Am I wrong? If I'm wrong can you explain to me why? It would help me convince myself to get a Pedal Commander lol

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now someone correct me.... If I'm wrong.. ;)

But doesn't the pedal commander over inflate the throttle input to make it appear more responsive? Like, if you press it down 25% it tells the computer you pressed it 45% ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im with you. PC cant predict when you are going to press that pedal.

My car has a "sporty" throttle and it kinda sucks when you have 300 horses. If PC works, i am not sure if i want 400 horses to an open differential.

Edit: i wrote can, but should be can't predict.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cwils80

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now someone correct me.... If I'm wrong.. ;)

But doesn't the pedal commander over inflate the throttle input to make it appear more responsive? Like, if you press it down 25% it tells the computer you pressed it 45% ?

Everything that I know about it you are correct. It's a throttle booster essentially. I just see all these people say it gets rid of pedal lag completely but to me are they really understand what pedal lag is or is this a placebo?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You press the gas, the solenoid/relay/whatever it is behind the pedal sends a signal to the pcm.
Then it computes what you're doing and sends signal to the throttle body.
The Commander goes between gas Pedal and pcm, sending the signal at Warp 5 so the response is more immediate.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
All I know is I love it, mostly BECAUSE I'm not pushing far on the pedal to get the truck to move... or even on highway, to keep it going...
I'm topping 80 before I know it and have to check myself... but like I said, the best for me is im not picking my foot UP as far at all to put it over to the break, not am I pushing it DOWN anywhere near as far to fly...

Sorry but you can WAY OVER think something when it's SIMPLE function suits me just fine!!!

BlackOps6

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I know is I love it, mostly BECAUSE I'm not pushing far on the pedal to get the truck to move... or even on highway, to keep it going...
I'm topping 80 before I know it and have to check myself... but like I said, the best for me is im not picking my foot UP as far at all to put it over to the break, not am I pushing it DOWN anywhere near as far to fly...

Sorry but you can WAY OVER think something when it's SIMPLE function suits me just fine!!!
Completely agree. My thoughts exactly

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How does installing the PC compare to say getting a tune?

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Cwils80 Dude, you're over thinking this.... A lot bud. A PC is well worth it in my opinion. It only changes the throttle response but you'll feel like it adds horsepower.

My previous truck was old enough it wasn't "drive by wire". So throttle response/lag was extremely noticeable to me. The PC removed that feeling and then some.

Purchase one and set it to sport+ and report back. Let us know what you think at that point.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does installing the PC compare to say getting a tune?

No comparison a tune is much more than just a throttle input table remap,at least a real custom tune, but even canned tunes are also more than the commander thingy. No comparison and if you put 2 trucks same mods side by side, the tuned one should win every single time dig or roll :) the commander doesn't add power is just a feeling thing for $300..

ClarkWGrizwald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Factory drive by wire systems are designed to delay the signal from the pcm to the tb . This is for emissions. It prevents the average driver from over reving the engine upon acceleration to get the car moving . This is where alot of hydrocarbons are produced. Saves fuel and emissions. The pc basically eliminates that signal lag. Not to mention that the 0 to 5 volt signal the throttle sends to the pcm , is not linear. Its parabolic. Think inverse of a hp dyno graph. Instead of shooting up and then leveling out, its low, level along the bottom and then starts to shoot up to the right of the graph. The PC settings basically change the shape of that graph/ signal. Some need a little lag, some like linear feed back and some want excess signal from jump. Depend on your power lever, truck weight, gearing, tire size etc etc. Pc gives you that flexibility to "tune" to your liking.

I belive I read somewhere the pc has up to a 35% improvement on that signal. And that most tuners only add 20% max to that signal. But the tuners also control the vvt signal, boost levels trans pressures etc etc that can also impact initial take off power and perhaps don't need a full 35% signal mod. Some people add the pc to their tuned vehicles! Can't go wrong with a pc.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Pedal Commander is one of those things you just need to feel for yourself. Just about everyone that says it isnt worth it never used one. We sell hundreds every year and the overall feedback we get is great. I consistently get feedback from customers who absolutely love it, especially for being such an quick and easy install and for how much of a difference it makes for being fairly inexpensive.

Anyone interested message me for a quote. We usually have them in stock and ready to ship for 4th and 5th gen RAMs