Heated seat base pad repair....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Howdy gents!!! Been a long time since Ive posted anything here. Recently had some heated seat issues in my 2017 Big Horn. Heated seat light would come on and quickly go out. ALFA confirmed a logged B1EB1 fault (front left seat heat sensor circuit resistance above threshold). Meter showed feedback circuit had an open on the drivers side and passenger side showed some resistance. So, ordered a 4610134AB base pad and tore my seat open. Part number is located on a white tag on the wiring to the pad itself at the rear of the seat.

-Remove 1 phillips screw from the plastic trim located at the rear of the seat
-Pull the seat control panel which was tough, be patient with the clips
-Remove 1 chtistmas tree fastener holding the seat cover from the side near the seat-back pivot
-Take out a large phillips screw behind the control panel
-Plastic around the seat pivot needs unsnapped so, take your time here and it will separate and the plastic trim will slide off.
-Unclipped the seat cover under the front lip and sides leaving back attached
-Pull the cover off the foam and fold it up against the back, I used bungees to hold it there
-I had to cut a few hog rings loose on the seat cover that ran the perimeter of the pad in the foam grooves (picture one you can see the grooves and ring locations in blue)
-Pad is held down with adhesive that comes attached to the pad itself. New pad DOES have this adhesive present (third picture shows the adhesive locations, foam is darker colored)!! I marked around the pad with a sharpie so I didnt put it in the wrong spot. If you just go at the old pad and pull it off it will remove chunks of foam! I heated up the front and rear of the pad where the adhesive is present and the pad lifted right off without issue.
-Unplug the pad at the back under the seat
-Place the new pad, pull the adhesive backing off and stick it down then pug it back in a the back of the seat.
-I did use large hog rings to re-fasten the cover back to the pad in the locations where stock rings were removed (pic one for ring locations) Seat cover does has small cuts where the rings go through. **The ring goes around a plastic tab sewn to the underside of the cover and a metal clip molded into the foam grooves!!**
-Re-clip the cover down, reinstall the trim and thats pretty much it.
-Cleared the faults in ALFA, started up the truck to test and all is well!

Probably not the most detailed write-up but, I at least wanted to share the pics. I wasnt sure how I was going to get the old pad off without jacking up the seat foam. Wifes iron on lowest setting ended up doing the trick!! Last pic is inspection of the old pad where I found a broken wire to the feedback sensor.
IMG_5340 M.jpg
IMG_5341.jpg
IMG_5342.jpg
IMG_5343.jpg
IMG_5375.jpg
IMG_5345.jpg
IMG_5374.jpeg

Last edited:

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
Thanks for posting this. I'm planning to add heated seats to my '24 and would have pulled the seats out of the truck to install the pads. Your way looks much easier.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Nice write up.
Subbed to reference for others if needed.

I've got some notes I need to dig up about the 13-18/classic element and sensor resistance that I can hopefully add to this for others ... (If elements check good, wiring is good, then likely bad CSWM module)

General connector reference
HS&W Conn Ref 1.jpg

And specific to the passenger side which is easiest to check/compare...
Jan_22_2024_9_15_12.jpg

Driver side:
Jan_22_2024_9_18_39.jpg

Jan_22_2024_9_20_03.jpg

Jan_22_2024_9_19_57.jpg

Jan_22_2024_9_19_52.jpg

Alternate driver seat at seat cushion connector (back pad in parallel).
Jan_22_2024_9_23_40.jpg

Jan_22_2024_9_23_19.jpg

Jan_22_2024_9_23_21.jpg

And last ditch spot (i405) to check at driver side (sometimes these connectors are left unplugged if salvage yard is building seat sets from parts)

Jan_22_2024_9_27_12.jpg

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Jared4.7
... and If you get the chance, would like to know what resistance you got for the passenger & driver seats with good bottom and back pads (& sensor) and at specific connector pins mentioned above.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Ill test it again tonight and post the readings!
You likely need to unplug passenger seat i420 to get accurate resistance readings.

Same for driver side at CSWM C1 & C2 connectors.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members