Help, I’m confused and so is my mechanic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StageCoach99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First time poster, so bare with me,

So I have an 07 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. I guess

I recently fixed the exhaust manifold bolts that everyone and their mom seem to have issues with, so I did a VIN look up for my dodge and it’s Registered as a 4.7 L Flex. So I bought all the right hardware for that model, when I tore into it I quickly realized the gasket and the bolts didn’t match at all. So upon further inspection I found out it was indeed a 5.7 hemi. Its always had the badges and engine cover stating that but I thought it was just for show. I then had to make a trip to buy the correct bolt kit for the 5.7L manifold (inconvenient, but obviously necessary)

So i had my buddy who’s a dodge mechanic look into it and he says it for sure came from the factory that way, I guess the engine mounts and other telltail signs were the indicators on that.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else had this come up or seen this? Does this make my truck more unique? I’m fixing to sell it so I’d like to know more details if any questions are raised.

Thanks!

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
My first thought would be a 4.7-5.7 engine swap, but if your friend believes it came from the factory like that, might've been a cab swap, or even a messed up vin number (if those even happen)

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first thought would be a 4.7-5.7 engine swap, but if your friend believes it came from the factory like that, might've been a cab swap, or even a messed up vin number (if those even happen)
If it was a cab swap that could explain the vin number. Is vin number displayed anywhere else except on the dash by the windshield?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sbraman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I recently fixed the exhaust manifold bolts that everyone and their mom seem to have issues with, so I did a VIN look up for my dodge and it’s Registered as a 4.7 L Flex. So I bought all the right hardware for that model, when I tore into it I quickly realized the gasket and the bolts didn’t match at all. So upon further inspection I found out it was indeed a 5.7 hemi. Its always had the badges and engine cover stating that but I thought it was just for show. I then had to make a trip to buy the correct bolt kit for the 5.7L manifold (inconvenient, but obviously necessary)

So i had my buddy who’s a dodge mechanic look into it and he says it for sure came from the factory that way, I guess the engine mounts and other telltail signs were the indicators on that.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else had this come up or seen this? Does this make my truck more unique? I’m fixing to sell it so I’d like to know more details if any questions are raised.

Thanks!

My first guess is a DMV/Registration Error. Be careful though, if you are looking to sell it, personally i would tell your local DMV or T&T place that the truck is registered incorrectly BEFORE YOU SELL IT. You could get into a bit of trouble if the buyer isnt a good person, they could get you for an incorrect registration, or claim that they weren't sold what was listed.
IMO it would be kinda cool if the body was swapped, not sure how practical something like that is though haha, but unique nevertheless.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Thanks!

Pull numbers off of various drive train components and have then checked against that VIN serial number.
It is extremely rare for such an expensive mistake to make it out the door, not impossible but rare.