Help!! Low RPM grinding/vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronin_Joe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone, I spent some time searching but not finding exactly what i am looking for. I have a 2012 1500 with 160,000 miles. Recently i am hearing maybe from the front (?) a low speed (rpms around 1500) doing around 30 ish, a like grinding or back pressure noise. It feels like it's not in the right gear maybe or something. I read something close on a different forum that they thought it could be the torque conv, but to test if the noise goes away when you go into tow haul then its not likely the conv and to keep looking.

Sorry if this is already covered. I tried to find it. Any help would be great.

Thanks

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be hubs or bearings, good idea to get it checked out fairly quickly.

OP
OP
Ronin_Joe

Ronin_Joe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to be a little more clear. It goes in and out, and it can be doing and as soon as I put it in tow/haul it goes away immediately without changing anything other then push the button

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Sorry to be a little more clear. It goes in and out, and it can be doing and as soon as I put it in tow/haul it goes away immediately without changing anything other then push the button
What has your transmission service schedule been?

OP
OP
Ronin_Joe

Ronin_Joe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
could be better. it was done at 56K last time. I asked them to do it before i bought the truck... my last truck died by trans

OP
OP
Ronin_Joe

Ronin_Joe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So.... Turns out the Hemi likes oil. Admittedly lately I have neglected my truck (life). As soon as i changed and more importantly added oil, the noise went away. Odd that the tow/haul would change the behavior ... embarrassing but figured i would bring closure to this post.

This did get me working on the rest of the stuff i should have done.. spark plugs with 160,000 miles on them are next...

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
So.... Turns out the Hemi likes oil. Admittedly lately I have neglected my truck (life). As soon as i changed and more importantly added oil, the noise went away. Odd that the tow/haul would change the behavior ... embarrassing but figured i would bring closure to this post.

This did get me working on the rest of the stuff i should have done.. spark plugs with 160,000 miles on them are next...
Don’t forget those differentials:)