Grinding Noise Upon Start-Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97RamBaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hello,

Was hoping to see if anyone has experienced this or heard of this issue before. I have a 1997 Ram 1500 5.9L with under 50k miles which I bought about a year back. It stayed in a garage for a few years before I bought it and decided to change out all the oils. A few months ago though, I started hearing some interesting noise coming from the bottom of my truck.

It doesn't always happen, but when it does it sounds like a grinding noise from the bottom of the truck cabin(?) Like around the transmission area. I haven't had any performance issues though, just that this noise kind of worries me. It will sometimes happen on a cold start in the morning when I am backing out in reverse. If I let the truck idle for a few minutes though, the grinding sound doesn't happen. Also, though a slightly different in noise in this scenario, another grinding noise seems to happen every so often when I am slowing down or coming to a stop downhill when applying brakes. Not sure if these two sounds are related, but since they seem to come from the same area and sound somewhat similar, I think they are related or is the exact same problem.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vendridi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most likely the fly wheel not engaging correctly. Had this issue awhile ago in my 89

OP
OP
97RamBaby

97RamBaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Interesting, would have never thought it was the flywheel. Was it an expensive fix for you?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If the truck was older & had more miles.
I would be checking the Starters teeth & flywheel

Is it an automatic transmission ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I asked about the type of transmission, because Stick Shifts have a Throw Out Bearing, that when it wears out, makes quite a bit of noise