Help !!! Valve rattle 2013 5.7 Hemi 150810

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmjrpayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Guys neeed some help here. I have a 2013 ram 5.7 Hemi
my truck has what sounds to me to be a awful Octane knock on driver side when I Accelerate . ( I can’t get it to stop and it’s driving me fing nuts ) I tried 93 octane etc . It sounds like a timing issue to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

boomstick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could be exhaust leak or a lifter going bad. ive also gotten bad gas before and it caused this and it took a couple of tanks to get it worked out.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gmjrpayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an exhaust leak on the other side it isn’t a exhaust leak it sounds like the timing off ( to much ) it gets to a certain RPM range and rattles ( like an empty spray can ) some times more than other times . Truck has great idle . If a lifter was going bad wouldn’t I here a constant rattle ? Or get a misfire error message.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I'd be worried about a lifter personally but it's odd you aren't throwing a code (yet?).

I just went thru a lifter failure on my 2011 and the sound was almost non-existent at low RPMs but got much louder under load. The truck became undrivable in a very short time after throwing a simple simple misfire code and running perfect.

OP
OP
G

Gmjrpayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What was the mileage on your truck and what was the cost of repair

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
What was the mileage on your truck and what was the cost of repair
I have a 2011 and I was at approx. 138.5k miles when it happened. The truck was running flawless then threw the misfire...and was still running flawless. I knew it was either cheap and easy (changed plugs and 1 coil pack) or going to cost me a small fortune.

The misfire code came back immediately after plug/coil change.

I took the opportunity to upgrade parts, but stock replacement of the cam and lifters will run anywhere from $3500 and up. This will include a new timing chain and oil pump as they have to be removed to get at everything. Also replacement fluids, gaskets, etc.

I spent over $5k but that was for a more aggressive cam, upgrading all springs and lifters and installing shorty headers.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
At that cost you would be better swapping in a complete auto wreckers engine. I found one in Georgia at Newton Auto Salvage Inc for $1500 with 70,000 miles. When my lifter went it scored the crank and rod bearings like crazy.
Theres nothing wrong with that option either. You could end up facing the same problem at or around 100k + miles though. Seems to be a roll of the dice with the 5.7s and this problem.

I had $2500 in cam/lifter/spring parts including the headers and added another $500 in fluids, gaskets, timing kit, oil pump, etc.

Had everything rebuilt by a guy that's built custom engines his whole life and he said the bottom end looked good. I did a short interval oil change after getting it back together to flush any remaining shavings. He did some work on the heads while they were off too.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep those old LS engines were damn near bullet proof even though the valvetrain noise made them sound like **** at idle. My old 2001 4.8 Silverado is still going strong at 190K miles and nothing but oil and filter changes on it and the transmission.

OP
OP
G

Gmjrpayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You know what’s scary? Getting misfire error code on a 5.7 hemi !!!