hiccupping truck after warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skinnee440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone! I know that this has probably been brought to light in the past, but I couldn't find the posts. If there are any links, please post! Thanks!

Now onto the issue at hand......
'07 2500 4x4 5.7 regular cab ST (work truck)
Not driven very day, only when I need it (towing mainly)
I have installed a cold air intake, super 44 flowmaster muffler, and Diablo Sport inTune i3

After about 7-8 minutes after it is started and only happens when it is in gear and moving, I get the hiccup session, another words engine cuts in and out repeatedly, if I let off accelerator it will keep doing it. If I press on the accelerator again back to the madness. I noticed putting in neutral will make it go to idle most of the time and stop it, couple of times it just quit when I did that. It doesn't last long, maybe 10 seconds. If cruise is on and left on, it will do for same amount of time, sometimes I lose cruise control and shifts down to I believe 4th like in tow haul mode and won't shift up any further, I can tell when this happens as the cruise can't be turned on. Other times everything is good. If it does the no cruise, no upshift I have to pull over, shut off, and restart to have a normal running truck. Sometimes it will do this once, sometimes a few times. I have cleaned the engine chassis and battery grounds and power side. Yes even power side to fuse box under hood. I have data logged with the Diablo, but really don't see the issue. This issue started around spring of this year. No codes thrown. Only 1 is the gas cap (0456? I think) which has been on since I bought the truck about 2 years ago, (yeah I know I gotta solve that issue, it's not a gas cap, new one on, I know, check hoses and connections first, then go from there). In the past I have read an O2 sensor would possibly cause. Yes a good scan tool would be great help to see voltage, but I don't have.

Now part 2 of this, when going downhill or when truck is kinda coasting with cruise on, it sounds like I have a VVT when engine starts accelerating again to maintain speed. you can hear it more than you feel. Trans shifts feel good and wouldn't lead me to suspect any issues as I have towed with it and no issues when hooked to a load. I DON"T overload, most I trailer is a 4k# boat. Once in a while a 7 ton trailer with a tractor on it. Maybe 6500# total tow weight.

So any insight or more info is greatly appreciated. I am just trying to get a better understanding of the open and closed loops to help with troubleshooting.

YES A GOOD SCAN TOOL IS VERY HELPFUL AND I UNDERSTAND THAT. So we don't need to beat that dead horse.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey everyone! I know that this has probably been brought to light in the past, but I couldn't find the posts. If there are any links, please post! Thanks!

Now onto the issue at hand......
'07 2500 4x4 5.7 regular cab ST (work truck)
Not driven very day, only when I need it (towing mainly)
I have installed a cold air intake, super 44 flowmaster muffler, and Diablo Sport inTune i3

After about 7-8 minutes after it is started and only happens when it is in gear and moving, I get the hiccup session, another words engine cuts in and out repeatedly, if I let off accelerator it will keep doing it. If I press on the accelerator again back to the madness. I noticed putting in neutral will make it go to idle most of the time and stop it, couple of times it just quit when I did that. It doesn't last long, maybe 10 seconds. If cruise is on and left on, it will do for same amount of time, sometimes I lose cruise control and shifts down to I believe 4th like in tow haul mode and won't shift up any further, I can tell when this happens as the cruise can't be turned on. Other times everything is good. If it does the no cruise, no upshift I have to pull over, shut off, and restart to have a normal running truck. Sometimes it will do this once, sometimes a few times. I have cleaned the engine chassis and battery grounds and power side. Yes even power side to fuse box under hood. I have data logged with the Diablo, but really don't see the issue. This issue started around spring of this year. No codes thrown. Only 1 is the gas cap (0456? I think) which has been on since I bought the truck about 2 years ago, (yeah I know I gotta solve that issue, it's not a gas cap, new one on, I know, check hoses and connections first, then go from there). In the past I have read an O2 sensor would possibly cause. Yes a good scan tool would be great help to see voltage, but I don't have.

Now part 2 of this, when going downhill or when truck is kinda coasting with cruise on, it sounds like I have a VVT when engine starts accelerating again to maintain speed. you can hear it more than you feel. Trans shifts feel good and wouldn't lead me to suspect any issues as I have towed with it and no issues when hooked to a load. I DON"T overload, most I trailer is a 4k# boat. Once in a while a 7 ton trailer with a tractor on it. Maybe 6500# total tow weight.

So any insight or more info is greatly appreciated. I am just trying to get a better understanding of the open and closed loops to help with troubleshooting.

YES A GOOD SCAN TOOL IS VERY HELPFUL AND I UNDERSTAND THAT. So we don't need to beat that dead horse.

There are several things that need to be checked and inspected. First thing I would do is out a fuel pressure gauge on it and record the fuel pressure at key on, engine off. Then with key on, engine running at idle. Then I would tuck the fuel pressure gauge under the wiper arm and take a test drive and monitor the fuel pressure to see if it is dropping when the "hiccups" start.

Next thing, go to your local o'reilly's and ask to borrow their new scan tool. Most of them have gotten rid of the old Bosch scan tool and have a new Innova. You can see quite a bit more in the live data stream and you can monitor the upstream Oxygen Sensors to see what the voltage is doing. It may be getting stuck lean and causing the hiccups.