Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenverCORamOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a 2010 Dodge Ram at an Auction Last Year. A month into driving it the engine seized. I put in another engine that was swapped out because of a bad cam, is what I was told. I put in my old cam in after inspecting it. MDS lifers were still good so I put them in the "new" engine too. I had just put in new ngk iridium spark plugs in my old heads, so I put those on the new engine too.

I have also put a new crankshaft and cam sensor in the "new" engine. Engine turns over and truck runs, but I been getting P0305 and also P0300.

What I have noticed is that the P0305 misfires show up when getting up to 3k revs.

I guess my main question is: might I need to get a new computer installed? I have seen many forum posts claiming that after changing an engine they had to change the computer...is that always the case?

Today, I removed the driver side, ODD Number Cylinder, valves covers. All valves are opening the same distance, the rocker arms do not seem to be loose. One part that grabs the rods just moves a tiny bit, maybe a millimeter. So, I think my mds lifters are fine, plus I didnt have an issue with them before.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off its not going to be a PCM issue it honestly almost never is your biggest mistake was re using old lifters. Any ways make sure you have all the push rods clicked in on cylinder 5 common mistake they dont click in all the way. Also did you set your timing correctly using the 2 marks on the chain/gears? Make sure all plugs are connected and in the correct place its easy to mix cylinders up. Another thing would be to do a compression test.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
used 2009 MDS lifters :eek:, thats your fist mistake. Heck those 2009 lifters are literally the worst ones for failures. Thats why I yeeted mine in the trash.

2nd we dont change computers we Tune them, you dont need to do this if you stay OEM specs.

3rd Get a cam degree wheel when you rebuild engines takes the guesswork out.

Most people that have hard times with these engines is either from, the Pushrods not seated properly, they are to cheap to buy a cam degree tool and the timing is off.