HID in quad lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to be installing HID lights that boosted motor sport put into his truck. My question is has anyone put HID in their quad lights? If so where did you mount the ballast? I got low beam and high beam replacements. Will be doing the fog lights as well! I got the capacitors for everything as well so hopefully I will be good to go.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thank you!

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend putting HIDs into anything other than projectors because you’ll blind oncoming traffic and depending upon where you live it could be illegal also. I’m sure that there are some better bulbs out there that would improve what you have. If it was me I would look for some aftermarket projectors from eBay or Amazon because they would be cheaper than factory and then go the HID route.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
X 2 on HID's in reflector capsules, such as the quads.

If you want HID's, get some projector headlights.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Man all you fancy ass headlight people hurt my eyes :boxing: Not sure what’s worse. High beams or some of the “low” beam replacements. I’ve hit the side of road a few times from being blinded yeah I’m getting old

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where I am living its actually quite common for the HID in the reflector housings. I will upgrade to projectors at some point but right now I was curious as to where you all mounted the ballasts.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
HIDs in Quads are the bomb! If you split your headlights, modify and install HID projectors you will have a better headlight than factory projectors or LEDs. No blinding because they have cutoffs and are adjustable.
We installed projectors in both my low and high beams, Haven't seen that done before. So I have four HID Projectors shining on low and high beams - awesome! Low beams cut off at a Toyota's Camry trunk lid top. Never had an oncoming car flash me.

I have to admit, it's expensive and a tedious modification, but so worth it.

HID_Projectors-1.png

HID_Projectors-2.png

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Oops! Forgot about the Ballast location. You will find there is plenty of room behind the headlight assembly to place your ballasts. We did not "mount" them, merely zip tied the harness, ballast assembly and tucked it away.

Edward Abilama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HIDs in Quads are the bomb! If you split your headlights, modify and install HID projectors you will have a better headlight than factory projectors or LEDs. No blinding because they have cutoffs and are adjustable.
We installed projectors in both my low and high beams, Haven't seen that done before. So I have four HID Projectors shining on low and high beams - awesome! Low beams cut off at a Toyota's Camry trunk lid top. Never had an oncoming car flash me.

I have to admit, it's expensive and a tedious modification, but so worth it.

HID_Projectors-1.png

HID_Projectors-2.png

Where did you get the projectors for the quads? Those are pretty slick!

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where I am living its actually quite common for the HID in the reflector housings. I will upgrade to projectors at some point but right now I was curious as to where you all mounted the ballasts.
man dont put bulbs in your quad headlights that are going to blind oncoming traffic

a good rule of thumb for any car/truck mods is that you shouldnt do the mod unless you can afford to do it right...especially when it comes to mods that relate to vehicle safety like putting blinding headlight bulbs in your vehicle

you dont have to spend top dollar and buy the most expensive parts but you do have to do it right when it affects other people on the road

there are economical options for a set of projector housings or you might find its a good idea to just leave them alone until you can do it right and get the right housings for the bulbs you want

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep don’t be that guy and blind the crap out of incoming traffic. Hid = a reflector housing = big no no. Either get a set of projector headlights or retrofit some then run hids all you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Where did you get the projectors for the quads? Those are pretty slick!

DDM Tuning (Tuning H1 V3 with Mini H1 Shrouds - # Proj-H1-V3-PR-MiniGG ). But don't think it's a plug & play. It requires headlight assembly modifications and projector aligning, neither a quick or simple task.

Last edited:

Edward Abilama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DDM Tuning (Tuning H1 V3 with Mini H1 Shrouds - # Proj-H1-V3-PR-MiniGG ). But don't think it's a plug & play. It requires headlight assembly modifications and projector aligning, neither a quick or simple task.

Awesome thanks for the info! No I didn’t think it would be quick or easy lol. Been doing some research on them. I have an extra pair of stock quads and wanted to try my luck. Any tips or tricks or guides you might have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I'm almost 70% finished with my retrofit. Between work and family I try to squeeze time in. I did some wiring mockup today. I'll take some pics for ya when they go on the truck. e62d56ebceb4e6ae3c59421bcff6bf34.jpg

Edward Abilama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What pro
I'm almost 70% finished with my retrofit. Between work and family I try to squeeze time in. I did some wiring mockup today. I'll take some pics for ya when they go on the truck. e62d56ebceb4e6ae3c59421bcff6bf34.jpg

What projector did you go with here and where did you buy from? I am in the research phase of my build. :)

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
What pro

What projector did you go with here and where did you buy from? I am in the research phase of my build. :)

From the research that I've done only smaller projectors and shrouds will fit into the quad housings. I was all ready to pull the trigger but a new baby that's almost here will make it almost impossible to work on. I had been looking at the mini H1 projector at the retrofit source. The shroud they recommended was the mini gattling gun but I suppose you could trim almost any shroud to fit (it would just be more of a PITA).

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mini h1 would fit in there without a problem with the Gatling gun shrouds like you said. The bigger shrouds you can get them to fit but you’ll be cutting them. The d2s 4.0 would fit too but wouldn’t be a simple installing like the mini h1 would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
What pro

I have mini h1. With x5 shroud. Its tight on the bottom but I think it should work. I may try the mini gatling that came with the h1. I bought everything from trs due to discounts. There quality has dropped since last purchase.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professionalish