Highway driving close to max payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019Warlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to discuss driving experience with a load in the bed.

Highway driving: 105km - 115km / hour
Distance: 50km
Payload in cab :400lbs
Payload in bed: 720lbs
Total: 1120lbs
Max payload: 1304lbs - weight of Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover

Approx: 150lbs payload left

First impressions: could tell there was weight back there. Drove fine until on the highway with slight turns. The steering was very sensitive - more then I would like.
I would not feel safe if there was wind.

Granted I should slow down but I felt in control.
Honestly, it would feel safer with load E tires.

Just wanted to share my experience. Carrying flooring.
20200903_213051.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So how fast were you going?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm virtually always at max payload and always feel fine. My 1 toolbox is about 350lbs and the rest of the stuff I carry in the box is easily that and then some plus the weight of my roll n lock and my fat ass. Gotta be 1100 total. Never felt uncomfortable with it. I do always run lt tires, but that's just because I get too many flats with the sras on the resource roads. I've done it with sras as well and still fine even on the highway through hell doing 75-80 mph, which is roughly the speed limit converted from kph. My commute to work is close to 650 miles each way. Trucks always feel a little weird in the high speed corners. They have more body roll. They're not performance cars.

OP
OP
2019Warlock

2019Warlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm virtually always at max payload and always feel fine. My 1 toolbox is about 350lbs and the rest of the stuff I carry in the box is easily that and then some plus the weight of my roll n lock and my fat ass. Gotta be 1100 total. Never felt uncomfortable with it. I do always run lt tires, but that's just because I get too many flats with the sras on the resource roads. I've done it with sras as well and still fine even on the highway through hell doing 75-80 mph, which is roughly the speed limit converted from kph. My commute to work is close to 650 miles each way. Trucks always feel a little weird in the high speed corners. They have more body roll. They're not performance cars.

I agree with every thing you said.

My last truck was a sierra 1500. Pretty much put LT tires on when new. Have maxed payload and maxed towing with that truck. As I mentioned I do believe LT tires would have made the ride much better.
Completely different suspension. (Leaf springs)

I do have the offroad package. (1inch front lift) Which might make it more nose high.

Reactions: BWL

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Looks like you loaded it right---pushed forward in the bed. I wonder if you max'd out the tire air pressure before loading? I've loaded mine (stock SRA's, pumped to 44psi cold) with 1/2 ton of gravel and my 200 lbs plus toolbox and felt OK but not truly great, but the V6 weighs less and thus has a larger load capacity.
NOTE: just to be safer, I recently added airlift bags inside the rear springs. I haven't done a big load with them but with a trailer, I was easily able to level up the truck. When unloaded with 10psi in the bags, I don't feel them at all (but that may be my old lead-****). If I planned on lots of big loads, I would swap out the soft SRA's.

OP
OP
2019Warlock

2019Warlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like you loaded it right---pushed forward in the bed. I wonder if you max'd out the tire air pressure before loading? I've loaded mine (stock SRA's, pumped to 44psi cold) with 1/2 ton of gravel and my 200 lbs plus toolbox and felt OK but not truly great, but the V6 weighs less and thus has a larger load capacity.
NOTE: just to be safer, I recently added airlift bags inside the rear springs. I haven't done a big load with them but with a trailer, I was easily able to level up the truck. When unloaded with 10psi in the bags, I don't feel them at all (but that may be my old lead-****). If I planned on lots of big loads, I would swap out the soft SRA's.

Tire pressure was left unchanged from what the factory had set it to at 42psi
They are the stock SRAs. (Max 44psi)

I have read a lot of posts about RV/towing. Which talk a lot about payloads. I have yet to tow with the Warlock.

I can't wait to swap out the SRAs for an A/t or mud tire. The surprise purchase of the flooring wasn't cheap and last month I got the truck Krown oil under sprayed ($150CAD). Also need to complete my first oil change for the ram. Just over 1000 miles on the odo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye