How long before engine temp reaches normal op temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Can't see how that's relevant to why the gauge needle isn't reacting and is stuck at the bottom. Thanks anyway.
Well, i guess baby steps. If the gauge is stuck at the bottom and the motor is under 140 F then the gauge is probably right. It also tells you your thermostat is likely stuck open. If the motor is a more normal 195 then the gauge is pooched. You may want to take this to a mechanic if you actually don't understand these rudimentary inter relationships.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothings wrong with the engine temp or coolant temp.
1 out of 10 drives, the needle is stuck at bottom for as long as I drive, until I restart the engine and then it jumps up to normal working temp. Thats the core of this thread, that the gauge needle isnt reacting as it should. And it seems tough to get a straight answer or not; as for if anyone has familiarity with this issue or not.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1 out of 10 drives, the needle is stuck at bottom for as long as I drive, until I restart the engine and then it jumps up to normal working temp. Thats the core of this thread, that the gauge needle isnt reacting as it should. And it seems tough to get a straight answer or not; as for if anyone has familiarity with this issue or not.

And you think it's tough to get straight answers?

And you wait for 22 posts before mentioning this feature is only happening during 1 out of 10 drives?

You must be drunk or delirious if you expect that anyone here can help you. :cool:

Best of luck.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I honestly don’t think you are getting the information you are searching for because in the grand scheme of things it’s a mechanical gauge on a 16 year old truck. It was never a medical grade instrument back in 2008. I get it that you are trying to make it work as intended, I’m OCD AF and I’d probably be doing the same thing. It’s still an old school gauge in an era of digital displays. Personally it sounds like the gauge is bad. Do you want to invest the time money and effort into repairing it? You’ve changed the coolant temp sensor twice, your scanner shows normal temps, it’s the gauge man. If you have a need to monitor coolant temp I’d suggest an aftermarket digital type, it’s going to be less expensive and more reliable than an old mechanical gauge.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Some folks are beyond help.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As others have said, if your OBD scanner is reporting that the sensor is working and that the truck is heating up to temp properly, then your 16 year old gauge is dying. It's up to you if it is worth it to try to fix/replace it, not sure if it can be replaced separately or if the entire gauge cluster needs to be replaced.

I, too, am OCD when it comes to vehicles, and everything should function as intended. But if the gauge is on its way out, then it needs to be replaced or bypassed to a new dash-mounted or pillar-mounted gauge.

I think you've gotten the answer to your question, it is now on you to figure out how you want to rectify the problem.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As others have said, if your OBD scanner is reporting that the sensor is working and that the truck is heating up to temp properly, then your 16 year old gauge is dying. It's up to you if it is worth it to try to fix/replace it, not sure if it can be replaced separately or if the entire gauge cluster needs to be replaced.

I, too, am OCD when it comes to vehicles, and everything should function as intended. But if the gauge is on its way out, then it needs to be replaced or bypassed to a new dash-mounted or pillar-mounted gauge.

I think you've gotten the answer to your question, it is now on you to figure out how you want to rectify the problem.
Thanks for the answer

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think this thread can be closed now and I surely wont start one again, I thought this forum was where one would help another but I get the notion that some, rather than typing a helpful answer or not typing at all, solely wants to send unhelpful and unrelated remarks. Why not turn that energy into helping another instead.

Thanks for all the answers, cheers

MarkMac77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2018 Cummins will take 15-20 minutes to reach normal operating temperature. My gassers warm up faster, but I don’t hawk the readouts on the gassers.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 2018 Cummins will take 15-20 minutes to reach normal operating temperature. My gassers warm up faster, but I don’t hawk the readouts on the gassers.

That's about normal. Gas engines warm up faster than diesels, because they create more heat at low RPMs.