I may have gone too far...... :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
So, after a few discussions and threads here, I may have gone a bit overboard. Ram Mounts no drill Ram 1500 vehicle base mount, extendable mount pole, double swing arms and a locking dock mount for a Samsung Tab E 8.0. The tablet has the Ram Mounts Intelliskin GDS so it locks in and charges the tablet.

Next payday, the wireless Juggernaut phone mount and case....

You guys give me good ideas that cost too much....LOL6619b611d9bc9377090aeb80b908fa2d.jpg93ea00e5a7f61e01a611efe6097b73f8.jpga67e028a57776577a0c1e5b251c427d6.jpg072881227e9260f12852eb77c2b49624.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Going to make a few tweaks to get it right. The no-drill mount came last night, I got everything else a few days prior.

I can say the Ram Mounts products are just solid.

jessie_m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diggin it, not too far. Pretty sweet imo

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeeeeah what’s the purpose of the tablet before I say you’ve gone to far lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Just curious, what is the purpose of a Tablet in your truck?

I was offered a deal at one time and it was a free tablet for my Verizon plan. It does have certain apps on it that I do not want cluttering up my phone, plus having it there with a larger screen isn't a bad thing if someone that is in my truck needs to use it.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Just curious, what is the purpose of a Tablet in your truck?

I was offered a deal at one time and it was a free tablet for my Verizon plan. It does have certain apps on it that I do not want cluttering up my phone, plus having it there with a larger screen isn't a bad thing if someone that is in my truck needs to use it.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried using a tablet as an enhanced dashboard in my other (older) 4x4.. tried to make it work for several months with tools to automate start-up and shutdown with the vehicle, automate putting the right apps up in the right order, automate dimming, voice control with offline maps and OBD2 gauges etc.. it was just never quite a seamless experience and never quite paid its rent either. Went back to using a dedicated Garmin nav unit for nav and regular bluetooth to my phone for music, the tablet added complexity to my life that I didn't need.

Hopefully it serves you better but I'm a lot happier with less!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
This is neat, and well thought out. However, if I could go back to a simple, water-proof flip phone that fit nicely in my pocket, and a paper map in the door pocket, I'd be a happy guy. Unless I'm on my motorcycle...then you can keep the map because I'm usually TRYING to get lost.

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
This is neat, and well thought out. However, if I could go back to a simple, water-proof flip phone that fit nicely in my pocket, and a paper map in the door pocket, I'd be a happy guy. Unless I'm on my motorcycle...then you can keep the map because I'm usually TRYING to get lost.

I thought I was the last person who used paper maps, on 4 wheels or 2. (I do try to get lost on the bike at times too).

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
So, after a few discussions and threads here, I may have gone a bit overboard. Ram Mounts no drill Ram 1500 vehicle base mount, extendable mount pole, double swing arms and a locking dock mount for a Samsung Tab E 8.0. The tablet has the Ram Mounts Intelliskin GDS so it locks in and charges the tablet.

Next payday, the wireless Juggernaut phone mount and case....

You guys give me good ideas that cost too much....LOL6619b611d9bc9377090aeb80b908fa2d.jpg93ea00e5a7f61e01a611efe6097b73f8.jpga67e028a57776577a0c1e5b251c427d6.jpg072881227e9260f12852eb77c2b49624.jpg

As a motorcyclist, I am against anything in a vehicle that takes the driver's attention away from driving the vehicle. Distracted driving has overtaken DUI as the number one cause of accidents, so, no, I don't care for this much. Nothing personal, but I have been almost bumped or hit by too many folks either holding a phone or looking at a screen in their vehicle, and swerved into too many times to count.

Great if it is used only by passengers as you mentioned, otherwise...not so much.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
a paper map in the door pocket,

Use to be able to get Jimapco maps of the area and if needed other areas of the country. That company went out of business a few years ago because of GPS and Nav apps.

With my one time experience with the Ram Nav (as explained in another thread here) Google maps is better. That and the front seat passenger aka: Navigator, can do all the plugging in on the tablet.

Nothing personal, but I have been almost bumped or hit by too many folks either holding a phone or looking at a screen in their vehicle, and swerved into too many times to count.

With distracted driving, I agree....plenty of idiots on the road and it's not just distracted driver's not paying attention to motorcycles. I appreciate that, that has been your experience, as pretty much anyone that has a license to drive at some time has had negative encounters while driving. Same here. Seen enough bad stuff to last me a life time...

Just making something that will work for me.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I got my Juggernaut phone case and wireless charging mount for my phone. Setup the phone mount using the Ram Mounts products.

Nice and sturdy.3363de8a1505f1c62da635628b053385.jpg6ba913ffd67580ad81aeb66826db0a04.jpg

Spydieee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How sturdy is the mount, pole and bracket? Any weak points? I have been on the fence with getting (and/or building) a laptop mount similar to this.
I work out of my truck, programming camera systems . Often, I'm remoting into the site's server with my laptop on my lap. Put it away, drive only a couple hundred feet before stopping opening up the laptop again, only to put it away seconds later.

TX_Storm_Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a very similar setup as you in my '15. Got tired of having to bind up one of my cup holders for my scanner so I went full send with it.

I have the same Ram Mount base as you, but mine has the adjustable tablet holder for running either my iPad or my Surface P4, depending on my needs that day. iPad for generic radar and navigation, or Surface when I need the better radar and APRS location reporting plus GPS. I also have a Bayou Goat mounts 3" triple mount on the dash where the glasses holder was. On that I have my standalone Garmin GPS unit as well as my Yaesu FTM-400XDR head unit (ham radio).

I'm not lucky enough to have one of the useful cell phone holders in the center console so I bought a 3d printed phone holder that slips into the business card slot.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out where to mount my CB radio. I'm thinking of doing it the same way a member on the "Z" forum did it, in the cubby under the radio/on the front of the center console.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
How sturdy is the mount, pole and bracket? Any weak points? I have been on the fence with getting (and/or building) a laptop mount similar to this.
I work out of my truck, programming camera systems . Often, I'm remoting into the site's server with my laptop on my lap. Put it away, drive only a couple hundred feet before stopping opening up the laptop again, only to put it away seconds later.

The Ram Mounts are solid. The bracket for the no drill mount uses the two front seat mount bolts to attach the bracket. If it's a rough road, it wiggles a bit, but nothing crazy.

I really don't see any weak points to it at all.

I looked up everything on the Ram Mounts website for the components, and bought most of components off of Amazon. You can customize pretty much everything with the different individual components.

TX_Storm_Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I installed mine just before a road trip to Colorado that saw tons of on and off road use. Even with using the spring-loaded tablet mount, I never had an issue with the ipad popping out. Like OC455 said, if the road is rough you will get some wiggle in the mount but it's not bad.

You can get the universal laptop mount for the Ram and based on my experience it would work very well for you. The only issue you might run into is that removal of the vertical bar isn't quick but it's not a difficult process so if you did need to take the laptop portion out you could do that quickly but you would still have the vertical bar there.