I think I need to replace the power control module, will a used one need to be flashed / programmed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickdsac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 4.6
The rear lights (brake lights, tail lights, turn signal) have no power going to them on both sides, I had a mechanic friend check this and he confirmed that there is no power reaching them. Oddly, though, power is going to the trailer hitch assembly. Fuses are all fine, etc, even took it to a shop and they think it is the power control module but they wanted way to much to fix it for how little the truck is worth.

I'm wondering if I got a used power control module would I need to get it flashed / programmed? I figured that if I pulled one off a Dodge Ram from a pick n pull I may not need to? If I ordered one online I may need to though because it could be from a different vehicle? I wasn't sure if this is true though, if anyone can provide more info I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone knows how the module can be bad for the rear lights but work for the trailer plug I'm curious to know more about that.

Thomas Shulte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a problem with cylinder 4 misfire and ended up being the drivers in the pcm were fried new pcm and its fine so if it is your pcm i would bet that the drivers are bad for the light circuit