In-depth look into p0300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Thinkdiag that I use my phone as the interface for. Best value for the money I could find for OEM level functionality.
That is awesome! I'll look into that as well! Thanks for the information!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no problem getting a more sophisticated scanner. The problem I've found doing research on them is everybody has their own opinions of what is "good". I basically just want to be able to diagnose what the problem is. I don't need a $7000 Snapon scanner. If I had money to burn I'd take it to a reputable repair shop (those a few and far between) and let them fix it. I've seen so many people screwed out of money by repair shops it is ridiculousl!
I stopped using Snap On Diagnostic scanners about 14 years ago. The scanners were not only stupid expensive to buy, but the yearly software/firmware costs were exorbitant! Adding salt to that wound, if I went past the anniversary date FOR the updates, they charged even more money. Add to THAT insult, the data coverage was very lacking.

I use for my everyday scanner an Autel MS906 BT. It has bi-directional control, does a pretty decent job for coverage so a guy can do a majority of his diagnostic work and aide in getting to a definitive diagnosis. BUT, scanners are NOT the final step in accurate diagnosis, they are a crucial tool to get to the answer, however. The Autel costs $499.00 per year currently to update, and they do NOT punish your wallet if you skip a year, or are late in getting the update(s). The accessories such as a boroscope or a 4-channel scope are also available and affordable. The MS 906BT is currently $1099.00 0n amazon (I just looked.) The PRO version is 300 dollars more, and isn't necessary for the DIYer. It's not perfect, but it IS adequate.

One can also join the iATN (international automotive technician's network) and it's free for basic membership. It's a wealth of good information and a community of technicians who can help each other get to the bottom of a diagnosis.

The scanner is not designed nor intended to diagnose the trouble FOR you, it is merely a tool necessary to provide data to get you TO the problem.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a Thinkdiag that I use my phone as the interface for. Best value for the money I could find for OEM level functionality.

That looks awesome, nice and cheap and connects to a smartphone wirelessly, just my kinda tool. Does it do "mode 6" as well?

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Nice, I missed that one when I was looking, I might have to pick one up though.

I had bought a bluedriver which I hated but it does at least do mode6. Then I bought a random $20 elm 327 dongle on amazon and used the free car scanner app until I bought alpha obd.

The elm 327 is limited on what it can do. I have heard that the obd link mx plus can do everything though, but it was over $100

TurboII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I stopped using Snap On Diagnostic scanners about 14 years ago. The scanners were not only stupid expensive to buy, but the yearly software/firmware costs were exorbitant! Adding salt to that wound, if I went past the anniversary date FOR the updates, they charged even more money. Add to THAT insult, the data coverage was very lacking.

I use for my everyday scanner an Autel MS906 BT. It has bi-directional control, does a pretty decent job for coverage so a guy can do a majority of his diagnostic work and aide in getting to a definitive diagnosis. BUT, scanners are NOT the final step in accurate diagnosis, they are a crucial tool to get to the answer, however. The Autel costs $499.00 per year currently to update, and they do NOT punish your wallet if you skip a year, or are late in getting the update(s). The accessories such as a boroscope or a 4-channel scope are also available and affordable. The MS 906BT is currently $1099.00 0n amazon (I just looked.) The PRO version is 300 dollars more, and isn't necessary for the DIYer. It's not perfect, but it IS adequate.

One can also join the iATN (international automotive technician's network) and it's free for basic membership. It's a wealth of good information and a community of technicians who can help each other get to the bottom of a diagnosis.

The scanner is not designed nor intended to diagnose the trouble FOR you, it is merely a tool necessary to provide data to get you TO the problem.
I have a Mac scanner at the moment but it is OLD. It worked for what I needed at the time. However that was 20 years ago and the world of technology is way beyond that! It definitely is necessary to have the right tool for the job. I'll get this misfire figured out yet. I just need more time in the day.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Mac scanner at the moment but it is OLD. It worked for what I needed at the time. However that was 20 years ago and the world of technology is way beyond that! It definitely is necessary to have the right tool for the job. I'll get this misfire figured out yet. I just need more time in the day.
20 years ago, enhanced version of OBD2 didn't exist, so, yeah, you can handle most things thru about 2004 with your MAC in generic diagnostic mode, maybe even further. After that, not so much.

CAN/BUS communications systems are now CAN/BUS FD.... running 8 times faster as of 2023, than up to 2022 YM.

I will share that, in a majority of cases, if you do diligent maintenance and replace the battery every 3 years, you stand a much higher chance of avoiding a great many issues which I see day in and day out.

Batteries are now evaluated by capacitance as a big factor in the control systems which have approached commercial jets! ;).
They do not make it easy, and they do not have it easy; trying to comply with EPA and CAFE requirements.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About a year layer and 12k more miles, I still have my issue lol. Truck still runs great. Maybe I'll grab the thinkdiag and see if it reveals anything additional. I did just have a new code thrown for my downstream O2 sensor, which is odd because I just changed those about a year and a half ago as well. Thought it was just due to the -30 windchill, but its warm now and still present.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About a year layer and 12k more miles, I still have my issue lol. Truck still runs great. Maybe I'll grab the thinkdiag and see if it reveals anything additional. I did just have a new code thrown for my downstream O2 sensor, which is odd because I just changed those about a year and a half ago as well. Thought it was just due to the -30 windchill, but its warm now and still present.
What is the issue? What are your expectations from a scanner?

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still this lol
Good luck. Im subscribing to see what comes of this. I've been having the same issue with cylinder 1 and 7. Cylinder 7 acting up more with one starting intermittently a bit later. Also have P0219a air/fuel imbalance as well that is permanent. P0300, P0301, and P0307 are able to be cleared but don't always popup together. Typically get a cel after 1k miles or a warm engine restart followed by quickly getting on it. Been going on for about 15k miles with 102k miles on the truck, but I haven't really noticed any performance degradation or pinging.

I replaced mostly the same parts as you except for cam and crank sensors since the truck freaked out when I replaced the crank sensor because they need to be programmed, which I didn't realize. I did replace the map, iat, pcv, 02 sensors, and two new injectors as well. Pulled the vvt solenoid and confirmed no shavings when I did the 6.4 manifold swap. Also pulled the valve covers and didn't see any play in the valvetrain or unusual valve travel. Haven't done a compression test yet, but at this point I'm leaning towards running it till it pops, then putting an mmx 6.4 longblock in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990