Interested in performance upgrades, experiences success stories & recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon F Porche

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 6-Ich Lift
Engine
OK 16 RAM Sport 5.7 4x4 no lift - stock tires as of now - I am considering a Throttle Body, Power-Plus Series, TBI, 90.00mm, Cast Aluminum, Natural, Dodge, 5.7L .... also a throttle body spacer and the mopar designed Ram Air Intake kit / CAI that will work with my sport hood - I would like to know of anyone's experiences with any of these - I am particularly interested in the throttle body spacer and larger TBI - like the BBK 90 or 87 mm - any real improvements? Would I need to get a tune? maybe a flow-master 40 to breather easier? how important are headers? just want to spice it up a little but more - its nice now ... this 5.7 hemi seems like its on the edge of some real potential... - basically I'm interested in things other than opening up the young engine - other than camming etc... I would love to know anyone's experience with any of these upgrades problem's or success... fact or fiction ... help a RAM brother out here ... Thanks & Love Y'all . . .

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:welcome: Don't waste your money on a throttle body spacer, it is just a paper weight, they are designed to help optimize the incoming fuel, since the 5.7 is fuel injected in the heads, only air flows thru the throttle body. If you want to run a 90mm throttle body you will need additional mods to include a quality tuner. I never seen the need for anything larger than a 87mm throttle body on a mildly modded street truck. Modifying the exhaust would also help, an engine is an air pump so as more air goes into the engine that additional air needs an improved exhaust system.

IMG_0703.JPG

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK 16 RAM Sport 5.7 4x4 no lift - stock tires as of now - I am considering a Throttle Body, Power-Plus Series, TBI, 90.00mm, Cast Aluminum, Natural, Dodge, 5.7L .... also a throttle body spacer and the mopar designed Ram Air Intake kit / CAI that will work with my sport hood - I would like to know of anyone's experiences with any of these - I am particularly interested in the throttle body spacer and larger TBI - like the BBK 90 or 87 mm - any real improvements? Would I need to get a tune? maybe a flow-master 40 to breather easier? how important are headers? just want to spice it up a little but more - its nice now ... this 5.7 hemi seems like its on the edge of some real potential... - basically I'm interested in things other than opening up the young engine - other than camming etc... I would love to know anyone's experience with any of these upgrades problem's or success... fact or fiction ... help a RAM brother out here ... Thanks & Love Y'all . . .

Like Harley mentioned above skip the throttle body spacer. People dont understand the fundamentals of how they work. On a carbureted engine, yes they worked but not on a fuel injected engine. As for throttle bodies, alone you will not see any improvement or difference. A Throttle body is supporting mod and when paired with full bolt on’s and a tune then you will gain the benefits.

Skip the BBK they are garbage, just do a quick google search of them. If you are serious on a throttle body go with a fastman TB. They are a true bore throttle body and he has a few options that will be tailored specifically to have far you plan to mod your truck. Don’t just think a larger TB is better that’s not how they work at all

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 on the oil catch can. Your best option is Billet Technology for that.

If you want us to start a proper mod list for you let us know we will gladly help you spend :p

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol a couple grand, funny man. Ok on a serious note this is a list that in my opinion is the best options after countless hours of researching, opinions and reviews of other forum members, etc. For some things I’ll give 2 options

-Vararam CAI or S&B CAI

-Carven Progressive muffler or Borla ProXS muffler and 5” tips

-Fastman 84mm Throttle Body

-JBA titanium ceramic coated Shorty headers

-Diablo Tuner with a custom 91 octane tune(Hemifever or Jay Greene are both very respected tuners with vast knowledge on these trucks)

-V6 electric fan conversion

-180 degree thermostat

-Active grill shutter delete

-Billet Technology catch can

-Core 4x4 upper and lower control arms, sway bar end links

-Hellwig 7709 sway bar

-EBC Stage 3 slotted/dimpled rotors with greenstuff pads

-Bilstein 5100 shocks upfront if you want to level the front end.

-Icon or King Thuren full front and rear suspension kit (expect to blow $5k plus)

With a setup like this you will have basically full bolt ons and the suspension/brakes to plant the truck solidly to the ground

Last edited:

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m running the intake your asking about the stock Mopar CAI and Ram Air Duct for a functional hood. Its an expensive choice, however I have no regrets. I have the Fastman 84mm Throttle Body on order should be receiving it soon. Felt that’s as big as I need to go with my list of bolt on mods.

D5BCC19C-4BE2-4D97-ADE7-139E3F4990AD.png

OP
OP
B

Brandon F Porche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol a couple grand, funny man. Ok on a serious note this is a list that in my opinion is the best options after countless hours of researching, opinions and reviews of other forum members, etc. For some things I’ll give 2 options

-Vararam CAI or S&B CAI

-Carven Progressive muffler or Borla ProXS muffler and 5” tips

-Fastman 84mm Throttle Body

-JBA titanium ceramic coated Shorty headers

-Diablo Tuner with a custom 91 octane tune(Hemifever or Jay Greene are both very respected tuners with vast knowledge on these trucks)

-V6 electric fan conversion

-180 degree thermostat

-Active grill shutter delete

-Billet Technology catch can

-Core 4x4 upper and lower control arms, sway bar end links

-Hellwig 7709 sway bar

-EBC Stage 3 slotted/dimpled rotors with greenstuff pads

-Bilstein 5100 shocks upfront if you want to level the front end.

-Icon or King Thuren full front and rear suspension kit (expect to blow $5k plus)

With a setup like this you will have basically full bolt ons and the suspension/brakes to plant the truck solidly to the ground

OP
OP
B

Brandon F Porche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK About 5k is about what I can justify this year..LOL The sky is the limit on the dollars we spend ...esp regardin suspension etc... I should have said easy horsepower gains . . . LOL but yes thats the kind of list I appreciate man... Looks cool and interesting ... Just came off owning ford & chevy... I did have an 01 ram sport 4x4 2500 w/ a 360... this RAM thing is amazing so far so good ... Really about to do the MOPAR cold air intake (hood & CAI combo) I will be damned if I hear someone tell me my hood is fake ... or just for looks ... etc... it will be functional soon - also I want a tune ... take off that speed limiter ... glad to hear the spacer is BS... it was on a 5.3 vortec I had in the past... just ppl placing reviews saying they noticed a difference...
Another upgrade is I want a locking rear diff ... eventually ...
a 6 inch lift & winch bumper ... most of these when that 100k mi warranty is up . . . Thanks fellas - I appreciate you all -

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK About 5k is about what I can justify this year..LOL The sky is the limit on the dollars we spend ...esp regardin suspension etc... I should have said easy horsepower gains . . . LOL but yes thats the kind of list I appreciate man... Looks cool and interesting ... Just came off owning ford & chevy... I did have an 01 ram sport 4x4 2500 w/ a 360... this RAM thing is amazing so far so good ... Really about to do the MOPAR cold air intake (hood & CAI combo) I will be damned if I hear someone tell me my hood is fake ... or just for looks ... etc... it will be functional soon - also I want a tune ... take off that speed limiter ... glad to hear the spacer is BS... it was on a 5.3 vortec I had in the past... just ppl placing reviews saying they noticed a difference...
Another upgrade is I want a locking rear diff ... eventually ...
a 6 inch lift & winch bumper ... most of these when that 100k mi warranty is up . . . Thanks fellas - I appreciate you all -

I would highly suggest against against spending the $1000 it costs for the functional hood inserts and MOPAR CAI. The hood scoops are too far back and the small holes are in a negative pressure spot. You will get no additional cold air to the air box. Save the $1000 and get a vararam and other mods for the same price

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome: Don't waste your money on a throttle body spacer, it is just a paper weight, they are designed to help optimize the incoming fuel, since the 5.7 is fuel injected in the heads, only air flows thru the throttle body. If you want to run a 90mm throttle body you will need additional mods to include a quality tuner. I never seen the need for anything larger than a 87mm throttle body on a mildly modded street truck. Modifying the exhaust would also help, an engine is an air pump so as more air goes into the engine that additional air needs an improved exhaust system.

View attachment 173151
Thanks for your service. 36 years Wow, they put me out at 30. Told me I had to go make room for the young guys. If I had done 36 I’d be able to get allot more mods done. Lol

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for your service. 36 years Wow, they put me out at 30. Told me I had to go make room for the young guys. If I had done 36 I’d be able to get allot more mods done. Lol

I would have stayed for 40 years, but I turned 60 years old before I could reach that goal. They almost had to drag me out the gate to leave. Thank you for your 30 years of military service, remember our contract and oath never expire.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I would just do the Pedal Commeander and a Diablo Tuner with custom tune. After those 2 mods asses how much farther you want to go. With those 2 mods you can build up from there, they will be the foundation to all other mods you do.
If you want more, then Long Tube American Racing Headers (ceramic coated), 180 degrees thermostat and some fat nitto rubber will feal very good behind the wheel.
Stock throttle body flow plenty of air and so does the stock air filter. Those would be the last thing I would do and only to support nitrous.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I had to buy a new truck, and had $3,000 to spend on mods:

CAI, Tune, Shorty Headers. 5100 Bilsteins set on the second tallest notch.

The new trucks are soexpensive to tune. Plus, the trucks are now more complicated than my old 11, that I like so well.