Inverter advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teligence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for inverter options.
1. I have the 136 amp alternator, so how many amps does the truck require to idle with no other accessories running? I need this so I can determine the max sustainable power output to determine an appropriate inverter size.
2. Along with this, I'm looking for an extra battery kit that I can connect the inverter to, that will automatically charge when the engine is running, but won't drain the engine starting battery.

2003 1500 quad cab 4x4 off-road, 5.7 hemi

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will be looking at a dc to dc charger or a relay kit to connect the 2 batteries. What are you looking at running off an inverter? Honda quiet generators or generac whisper generators may be a better option than a big inverter. There are even dc inverter packs. Milwaukee has one that I’ve used for work a few times running power equipment. It has an 1800 watt sustained running load and a 3600 watt startup load. A bit on the expensive side but you can buy extra batteries and rotate them through and it has a built in charger. Supposedly the next gen version will have a solar capability albeit I doubt very useful at all. Most smaller solar systems are bogus at best.