Is Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator Oil Additive a Good Product?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I realize that some view additives as snake oil, but I was wondering if any Cummins owners here have used Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator Oil Additive. In reading reviews at Tractor Supply, I am impressed. What say you? Manufacturer states that the product replaces 2 quarts of oil at the oil change.

1702421046810.jpeg

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Not necessary in my opinion. When I ran Fords I did use it and it did work. It would keep the high pressure oil side of things free. I used it in customer trucks and after 80 miles freed up the stiction. But those injectors were fired using the oil.
Cummins injectors are NOT oil fired so no benefit from this product in my opinion. The cost outweighs if any benefits.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Not necessary in my opinion. When I ran Fords I did use it and it did work. It would keep the high pressure oil side of things free. I used it in customer trucks and after 80 miles freed up the stiction. But those injectors were fired using the oil.
Cummins injectors are NOT oil fired so no benefit from this product in my opinion. The cost outweighs if any benefits.

Good to know. I did not know that.

What do you think about Hot Shot's Diesel Extreme Fuel Additive?

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Back when my 20 ram had the cp4 glitter bomb I used hot shot lx4 for 2 years and it worked great for us and did what it was supposed to do. So all though it wasn't an oil additive I can speak to my experience with hot shot and there product and I highly endorse them.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Back when my 20 ram had the cp4 glitter bomb I used hot shot lx4 for 2 years and it worked great for us and did what it was supposed to do. So all though it wasn't an oil additive I can speak to my experience with hot shot and there product and I highly endorse them.
I did the same for the CP4.2, but with Lucas Cetane Power Booster. I did know about the Hot Shot product.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I did the same for the CP4.2, but with Lucas Cetane Power Booster. I did know about the Hot Shot product.
There wasn't any metal in my hpfp when they swapped it out, how was yours?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My self I don't think much of HSS, I have used Lucas injector cleaner in my old 5.9 and I'm using the last that I have in the wife's car ( it works in gas engines too) I have not tried the Lucas Cetane Power Booster so it too may be good, I have used Opti Lube products an have been happy with them so far...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Personally, I avoid anything that says 'secret.' RevX was like that for Fords as well - it worked, but they wouldn't tell you WHY.

Archoil, on the other hand, has been very forthcoming with what's in their additives, and published all of their testing data. Oh, and they were cheaper - don't know if they still are.

That said, CTDs don't need oil additives as they are not oil-fired like the old 6.0 Powerstrokes were (I believe the 6.4 and 6.7 Powerstrokes are no longer oil-fired either). Fuel additives are more need-based, and most especially anti-gel if you live places that get cold.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't run any additives either and have never noticed any ill effects with the Cummins. I DID run it with my old 6.4 Powerstroke but it had nothing but issues and I was trying to save it. Didn't work for the problems I had anyhow.

I've ran Powerkleen Diesel additive in my 2012 Ram a few times because I had it left over from the Powerstroke and I never noticed any change in anything. Honestly, I'd probably only run an anti-gel formula if I lived somewhere extremely cold but aside from that I just keep my filters changed and save my money.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Don't use oil additives, period. Use proper spec oil for your truck, change at specified intervals. Engine oils are better than they've ever been across the board, and the good ones are REALLY good. All an additive is going to do is risk the lube oils additive package integrity due to some compatibility problem. Use something that meets both the current cummins and ford specifications. Ford requires a little higher zinc if I recall correctly, which is good. Valvoline extreme 5w-40 is about as good as it gets.

Hot shot secret does make a really good fuel additive that can help with CP4 trucks. With a CP3 I wouldn't bother.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Maybe if you have an older 7.3 or 6.0 Powerstroke. (Oops can I say Powerstroke here??) Not sure this will do much for common rail electrically actuated injectors. If you have engine oil in those injectors you have a problem. Stiction is usually an issue with fuel injectors. Not sure it will do much for the rest of the oil lubricated parts of the engine.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Don't use oil additives, period. Use proper spec oil for your truck, change at specified intervals. Engine oils are better than they've ever been across the board, and the good ones are REALLY good. All an additive is going to do is risk the lube oils additive package integrity due to some compatibility problem. Use something that meets both the current cummins and ford specifications. Ford requires a little higher zinc if I recall correctly, which is good. Valvoline extreme 5w-40 is about as good as it gets.

Hot shot secret does make a really good fuel additive that can help with CP4 trucks. With a CP3 I wouldn't bother.

My Dealership Service Dept uses Shell Rotella Full Synthetic 10-W30, for the hydraulic valve lifters

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I won't dive into viscosity preference in this thread but 10w30 is fine as well. As long as the oil being used meets the requirements listed in your owners manual, use it. I dont know whether T6 rotella meets the current ford spec or not, that's the only thing I'd check if I were you. Nothing to worry about, but the Ford spec is a bit more rigid than the current cummins one if I remember correctly.

The main thing is, don't go adding more stuff to the oil. The current engine oil you are using is spectacular as it is. If you want to go the extra mile, start sampling and trending your engine oil. You might find that you can actually extend your OCI quite dramatically, or that your driving habits dictate a shorter OCI.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My Dealership Service Dept uses Shell Rotella Full Synthetic 10-W30, for the hydraulic valve lifters
Are you 100% sure??? I asked my dealer to prove to me that they put Rotella T6 5w40 in my engine because the Cummins lab who did my UOA questioned if the oil was indeed Rotella T6, when asked I got told well that's what the computer code said it is, but knowing that dealers for quick lube can buy & use any brand of bulk oil they want to {the service dept. will not know what brand was purchased} ( unless your paying extra for a certain listed brand of oil) so long as it meets API specs, is reason number 9897658987 why I refuse to let any dealership install there quick lube oil in my engine, I don't trust them ( aka I buy the oil that goes into my engine and they can install it) unless oil for warranty, for warranty work dealers have to use the brand of oil that FCA tells them to use..

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Are you 100% sure??? I asked my dealer to prove to me that they put Rotella T6 5w40 in my engine because the Cummins lab who did my UOA questioned if the oil was indeed Rotella T6, when asked I got told well that's what the computer code said it is, but knowing that dealers for quick lube can buy & use any brand of bulk oil they want to {the service dept. will not know what brand was purchased} ( unless your paying extra for a certain listed brand of oil) so long as it meets API specs, is reason number 9897658987 why I refuse to let any dealership install there quick lube oil in my engine, I don't trust them ( aka I buy the oil that goes into my engine and they can install it) unless oil for warranty, for warranty work dealers have to use the brand of oil that FCA tells them to use..

I have seen them carry out 3 one gallon jugs of Shell Rotella Full Synthetic, with sealed caps, and pour them in. But, I know what you mean. They would be tempted to cut corners wherever they can. But I keep an eye on them. The oil changes happen right out on the front bay, in full view.