Issues with antenna reception

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcwilson1022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 and recently started having issues with no siriusXM and/or navigation reception. It says attempting to connect, but never does. The GPS shows my location way off by like 20 miles and never shows the accurate location. I did a uconnect reset and also unplugged the battery for 45 minutes without any luck. I didn't want to mess with pulling the headliner down and looking at the shark fin antenna so I bought a mustard/curry fakra XM antenna off of Amazon in hope of bypassing the shark fin antenna. I pulled out the uconnect system and was able to plug in the new antenna directly into the uconnect 4 module and immediately the XM preview channel worked. So I know the new antenna was getting the signal. Right after, I got an error on the uconnect screen that said there was a problem with the antenna connection and to take the truck to the local dealer. I had XM manually send the refresh signal to my radio, still no luck.
As far as I'm concerned, getting the Amazon replacement antenna to receive the XM preview channel proves the issue to be with the original antenna somewhere between the head unit and the shark fin antenna.
Do you know if swapping out the antenna changes the radio code that XM uses? Do I need to contact them and register this new antenna? Anybody have any suggestions? I'm at a loss and frustrated not having working XM or GPS.

OP
OP
J

jcwilson1022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took it to the dealer and they told me the iccid and msisdn numbers are missing and they have to replace the entire head unit for $952. Gave me case number S2008000141. I'm 7 months out of warranty, but it seems like this is a known issue and should be a recall. I've already reached out to RAMCares and waiting for a response. Anybody else have this issue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357