Just installed PowerStop Z36...brakes...are noisy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We installed power stop brakes on our Beetle and my Ram (Z23 on both) and had all kinds of noise on both. The Beetle needed both rear calipers replaced.
Have you checked your parking brake shoes/ hardware etc? My truck's are a rusted mess and I believe that's where the noise is coming from now.

OP
OP
Repost Police

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Pulled all the wheels and went over everything. Everything greased appropriately, none of the dust shields are bent. Had a buddy take a look who's an ASE master tech, best mechanic I know, and he thinks it's the pads. Pretty disappointing for what I spent. It does seem to be getting slightly better the more I drive it but if it doesn't subside soon I guess I'll contact power stop or put different pads on.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not much help but I just installed D/S rotors and z36 pads on my truck two weeks ago. Bedded the pads per PS's instructions. No rotor seasoning as mentioned suggested by Baer apparently. No noise here. Rotor run-out maybe?? Do you have a dial indicator that you could use to check?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I never had any noises either after I installed mine. I literally put them on and pumped the brakes a few times and then went out and drove. I would take the truck up to 20 mph and then gently brake. I did that like 15 times and then off I went. Never had any real noises except for right now when I think the caliper slides are drying up or the pads are finally worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tapat1o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just buy OEM Mopar brake pads/rotors. With aftermarket stuff, there is always a compromise (noise in your case). I bought OEM Mopar brake pads/rotors and they work great.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I will need brakes soon and I'm Just curious if anyone other than me has used EBC Yellow Stuff pads & rotors on a 2500?

I hace Z36 ceramics & d/s rotors in my shopping cart as we speak. I've used yellow stuffs on several vehicles but never had ceramics. They never gave me any problems.
Now I'm concerned about what's in my cart.
Any advice?
Just buy the Z-36's and don't be a Mary?
I tend to drive hard.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd buy just the rotors and Wagner OEX pads to go with them. OEX have multiple dust channels, Power Stop have one center channel.
Both are ceramic, the Wagners are superior IMO.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the PS Z26's on two cars without a problem. For the ruck I put R1 Concept's Geomet rotors and their carbon/ceramic pads. bedded them in and they work great. No noise and stop way better than stock.

OP
OP
Repost Police

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just get the Wagner OEX pads and your problem is solved.
I emailed PowerStop today. While the noise/chatter has gotten better, it's gotten to the point where it has stopped getting any better. We're convinced it's an issue with the pads but we'll see what PowerStop says. If they tell me I'm SOL then I'll look into these Wagner pads and report back.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently did my brakes with Callahan d/s rotors & ceramic pads and had that high-pitched squeak at slow stops. (parts shipped from Powerstop!)
I replaced all 4 corners with Wagner OEX pads and squeak disappeared (and they grab better)
The Callahan pads had one center dust groove, the OEX have multiple grooves.
I replaced my stock pads at 55k miles with the wagner oex, im very happy with them and the stock rotors

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did mine, no noise. Love the hell out of them.

20200229_171821.jpg

20200229_171840.jpg

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
One trick I remember from my days as a mechanic: new pads have a pretty sharp 90 degree edge all around where the pad surface meets the rotor. Sometimes just using a half round file to take down that edge to a bevel will help.

it’s about an hours work in the driveway but worth a shot.

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to bring up an old thread but was just curious if there ever was a resolution to your issue you had @Repost Police

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57