Just signed my own death warrant with my wife.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was thinking more along the lines of 'dinner at the Y', but that's a good start:33:
I'd REALLY appreciate some feedback on the SAs once you get them installed with a few miles.

Well, yesterday I got them I put about 150 miles on 'em in pretty heavy snowfall and snowy/icy roads. Today I put about 400 miles on them on a trip to my dad's downstate, mostly slushy and dry roads with some 4x4 work once there on the farm.

I never liked the Cooper AT3 even new. They never really held traction and I was always concerned about stopping and from-stop starting going out into traffic. They were very squirrly on ice, very bad actually. In parking lots with snow covered icy pavement I had to be careful not to get too deep into the throttle or the back would come all the way around on me, it was honestly a pain in the ass. I also had trouble with the tires spinning as soon as I put it in gear on packed snow unless in 4wd. In deep snow they were ok but I had to have it in 4wd if I stopped anywhere where there was ice underneath. New they were really really quiet with a fairly soft ride.

The SA's are nearlly as quiet (very very quiet for a heavier lug tire) and have twice as soft a ride. I kept both the Coopers and these SA's at 72 front and 66 rear and have Fox BMW in Traverse City do the rotations and nitrogen levels in the tires. I have to say that I have yet to have the tires just start spinning because I put it in drive. I also have tried to get it sideways in similar parking lot conditions and not only is it really hard to get them to break loose, it is really hard to keep them loose. In deep snow they maybe aren't as good as very 'luggy' trail tires can be, but they are very good.

Had it in about 2.5' drifted snow along a fenceline in a hay field today and barely had to use 4wd, I did have to use it but there was no drama; just used the 4high and a good dose of throttle and powered straight through. The only area I can see they struggle at all is with heavy slush at 35+ mph. Yesterday when it was really coming down there was absolutely no drama. Before, I was driving everywhere except bare pavement in 4wd, and so far I have only used it in certain situations.

I realize they are brand new with less than 1,000 miles, but they are quantum years better than the Cooper AT3 was in similar snow/slush/ice when they were new. They actually give me the feeling of an actual snow tire, which makes me wonder how they will do wear-wise in the summer.

So far I really really like them, and they are fully as advertised by Goodyear. Again, that's only after less than 1,000 miles and I will re-evaluate them at the end of winter.

As for a quick description of my rig so you can compare yours:
2011 2500 diesel 4x4 crew cab, standard height, fully stock except for locking differentials I added. See bottom of my sig for those.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear it man. Maybe you can show this to your wife to pull off the safety feature purpose of buying them lol

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, I have actually decided to just simply not mention it and see if she even notices.

Kind of my own little "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding my truck. :)

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tell her that you did try to tell and ask he,r but maybe she would remember if she paid attention to you. You got them anyways in case she needed to drive the truck, 1100 is nothing compared to what you'd pay for her safety.

Soundwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey you should throw up some pictures of the new tires! I was actually going to head to a goodyear to see if they had any. I've been contemplating them since I decided to lift the truck 4". They make a 305/60/20, which suits my needs better than a 35x12.50. I want something quiet that I can get a lot of miles on with the results you posted above!

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I must have the best wife ever! She could give two ***** what I do as long as our children are fed and clothed and she can have her fun as well. She's spending a weekend in Chicago this summer, and I'm sending my G8 off to a shop to have stupid amounts of work done to it. Sounds fair to me! lol

Chris

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I have actually decided to just simply not mention it and see if she even notices.

Kind of my own little "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding my truck. :)

I've got that same policy :)

Are you retired Coast Guard? Figuring from where you are from it might be possible. I spent 99-03 stationed at Air Station Traverse City.