Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Leak.jpg

I noticed this leak between my transmission and drive shaft, and based on the spray around the drive shaft it looks like it's been going for some time. You can see exactly where it's dripping right in the middle of that picture. I'm guessing this is transmission fluid, but let me know if I'm wrong. From the videos I've seen, topping off transmission fluid looks like a pain. Does anyone have any thoughts on what seal needs to be changed to fix the leak?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
View attachment 466704

I noticed this leak between my transmission and drive shaft, and based on the spray around the drive shaft it looks like it's been going for some time. You can see exactly where it's dripping right in the middle of that picture. I'm guessing this is transmission fluid, but let me know if I'm wrong. From the videos I've seen, topping off transmission fluid looks like a pain. Does anyone have any thoughts on what seal needs to be changed to fix the leak?
That is the output shaft seal in the back of the transmission if you are 2WD or the output shaft seal on the back of the transfer case if you are 4WD.

Really simple to replace and the seals are cheap. Remove the rear driveshaft and knock the seal out with a hammer and a chisel or a large flathead screwdriver.

Drive the new seal in and reinstall the driveshaft.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Like Fast69 said. Take the U joint apart and the shaft will slide out of the rear of the trans. When you put the new seal in, do it carefully and don't drive it with the sharp end of the screwdriver you used to get the old one out. I've seen that done by impatient mechanics that couldn't be bothered to find a proper tool. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357