Leaking Gas Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willie 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
2005 Ram 1500 3.7L 2-WD - 26gal tank
A month ago, gas started pouring out of top of tank while finishing filling it up -- it spilled out pretty good, NOT just a drip or drizzle.
Thot it was filler neck hose or clamp, but a mechanic said more likely a crack in a seam on the tank.
So I removed the bed, pulled the tank, and NO CRACK, but when I plugged all hose connections and blew on the intake, some air does leak out of gasket around the intake neck-thing (gasket that seals intake to the tank; ** See Picture).
SO now i'm double guessing: I'm leaning toward it being the intake hose clamp due to the volume of gas that almost poured out when tank reached capacity -- BUT do I need to 100% seal -- or replace that gasket? ANd if i can repair or seal it, what product would work?
Thanks in advance!
-B.Willie

Attachments

• Tank .jpg
    Tank .jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 10
  • TANK Intake Gasket or SEAL .jpg
    TANK Intake Gasket or SEAL .jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 10

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh boy... Yeah that's a crappy leak to get. I had the exact same problem. Unfortunately the only fix is... Replacement.

The part you're pointing at is bonded into the tank when it is cast. You can see where it's leaking based on the darker areas on the black plastic.