Leaving key FOB in Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jglas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie - best truck I’ve ever owned and my first Ram. I had a Viper alarm installed and wondering…….Can I safely leave the factory FOB hidden inside the truck and just use the Viper FOB - it’s much thinner and convenient to carry. I’ve heard of people doing this but neither Viper nor MOPAR want to say anything about it for liability reasons, but it seems like this would be ok. I’m just wondering if the FOB being in the truck would allow someone to gain access by touching the handle - or can that feature be disabled?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie - best truck I’ve ever owned and my first Ram. I had a Viper alarm installed and wondering…….Can I safely leave the factory FOB hidden inside the truck and just use the Viper FOB - it’s much thinner and convenient to carry. I’ve heard of people doing this but neither Viper nor MOPAR want to say anything about it for liability reasons, but it seems like this would be ok. I’m just wondering if the FOB being in the truck would allow someone to gain access by touching the handle - or can that feature be disabled?
I wouldn't leave it, doesn't the FOB start your truck? lol ...unless that's a special FOB that won't allow your truck to get started then go ahead, but viper alarms can actually get scanned for the encrypted code contrary to what they claim that you can't .... I wouldn't to be on the safe side ...

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard of people doing this with certain aftermarket alarms but it isn't something I would do personally.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One type of Viper Alarm allows you to have one FOB for the alarm & Ram

If you are going to leave the Ram's FOB in the vehicle, at least remove the battery

.....................................................................................................

Something people don't think about is that there are people that build an electronic machine that senses things like FOBs & Garage door openers
Once they sense a opener or FOB working, they can control it themselves after that.
Keep your FOBs & Garage door openers in a Faraday Box when ever you can

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you able to lock the door with the fob still in the truck?

Elvira

Reaction score
Leaving your fob in the truck, you might as well leave your keys and gas money too....do not trust after market security alarms, they can be hacked easily. Take your Ram fob with you.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you really want to leave the fob in the truck, get a faraday bag so that the truck cannot sense it is there, and someone cant just touch the door handle to unlock it and then just start the truck and drive away (assuming you have push button start if you have keyless touch handle entry).