Lifting bed for OEM hitch install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nsherman2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I just bought an 03 ram with no trailer hitch. I picked up a OEM hitch with the thought that it would be a bolt up install. Now I'm researching and it looks like I have to remove/raise the bed to remove/install the hitch.

From a few videos it looks like there are 6 bolts holding the bed down. Is this as simple as removing those 6 bolts, lifting the bed, and removing the old hitch? Do lights/fuel tank/wiring need to be disconnected just to lift a few inches? A few questions:

1) How does one go about lifting the bed? I have a good car jack, but i doubt it has the reach to lift the truck bed without a lot of blocking. I have an engine hoist as well, but don't know what a good attachment point would be.

2) The hardware that attaches the hitch to the frame appears pretty rusted. Any idea what the grade/thread on those bolts is in case I need to replace?

Any other tips on how to go about the job?

Thanks!

Neal

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you have the cross bar in the back? My 03 had the crossbar and I just bolted on a receiver.

p348.jpg
Ended up using this one 14yrs ago lol: https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Class_IV__2_inch_Receiver_Hitch,75135

Otherwise yeah, if you're changing the whole works, you'll need to lift the bed. If you can lift the back end just enough you should be able to access what you need without having to disconnect too much stuff.

OP
OP
N

Nsherman2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the cross bar without a hitch, and what I purchased is the cross bar with the hitch.

So I need to raise the bed, I'm just trying to figure out how to go about doing that (I'm new to trucks). Is it as simple as removing the 6 bolts through the frame rails and then picking it up a bit with a hoist?

Thanks!

Neal

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It depends on how much you're going to lift the bed to do your install. The fuel filler neck is a definite disconnect and the wiring harness to the rear is going to need to be too. Put some good protection between the back of the cab and the front of the box. It's really tough to R&R the box with the rear bumper on but it can be done if you can lift it perfectly straight up and wrap protection around the rear boxside corners under the tail lights where it could hit the bumper. Remove the tailgate to reduce overall weight and either have a minimum of 3 strong people or someway to lift it from the top.
Remember you're talking weight that might be in the 200 lb range and yes that's just a guess

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck beds are not that heavy. Get three other people to help lift it off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990