Limited slip differential / electronic stability control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigp95

Reaction score
Ram Year
None now
Engine
None now
I'm new to this forum and if I buy a 1500 it'll be my first Dodge in close to 40 years. I'm looking for any info, opinions, advise, help, etc that I can get. I've been to the dealership several times and am looking for validation of some of thin info I've received.

1. I wanted to get what we called posi-track back when, and now Ram calls it antispin defferential. The truck I was looking at didn't have that, but I was told that TRACTION CONTROL is included in the ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL group and provides the same benefit as the antispin differential. Would you agree with that?

2. I believe I have a 3.42 rear end in my GMC and the stock Ram has 3.21. Will I be ok towing a 21' boat and utility trailer with the 3.21.

3. I'm thinking about the Bighorn and I'd appreciate any impressions, insights, praises or gripes you have with the 2014 Ram 1500.

Thanks Craig

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1) stability control is basically is to prevent rolls, traction control is probably what you're actually talking about and that basically stops you from spinning the wheels. if it detects wheel spin it'll apply the brakes to that wheel to slow rotation allowing the tire to grip better. when spinning the limited slip diff will apply more torque to whatever wheel has the most traction. for example if you're stuck in mud and your right tire has zero traction but your left has lots the right tire would just spin and spin with the left doing nothing at all but with the limited slip diff it'll transfer power to that left tire and you'll be able to move. depending what you do you may not need it. personally with the winters i get it's a must have

2) you should be fine but without knowing the weight can't say for sure

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
in a nutshell.........

The anti-spin differential gives you reasonable traction to both wheels in the rear WITHOUT cutting engine power or applying the brakes

While on the other hand, the traction control system must apply the brakes and/or cut engine power to give you traction at both rear wheels.

You decide which you would rather have.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Traction control "tricks" the diff into thinking the slipping wheel has traction by applying breaks really quickly, thus transferring the power to the wheel that actually does have traction. It actually does work pretty well under most situations, but you may want the actual posi-rear if you do a lot of boat launching on questionable ramps.

I don't think you would have much trouble towing a 21 foot boat or any trailer that is within the trucks rated tow weight. You'll notice that the tow rating does increase with lower gears, so if you think you will end up towing more than you have now you may want to get shorter gears now. They are quite expensive to change on the new 4x4's after the fact.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
With the 8 spd, the 3.21s should still get the boat moving and keep it moving without issue.

I am maybe a little old school, but I wouldn't trade an old fashioned mechanical LSD for any of the new electronically controlled nanny crap no matter how well it works... or doesn't. The traction control won't replace the limited slip. It will only masquerade. If you want LS, make sure you option the anti-spin diff.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was going to add my $,02 but it;s turning into a dogpile of the same goof advice.