Locker Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was hoping to get some insight here.

Why are there no selectable locker options for the Ram ZF 9.25 rear diff?

It drives me nuts that no on demand locker exists, whether it's an air or E-locker.

With the sheer number of these trucks sold, you would think someone would have released one.

It is literally the only thing i want for my truck now, backcountry skiing requires access to snow covered forestry service roads. A rear locker would make things a hell of a lot easier.

I can understand not having a locker for the front because of the stupid decision to weld the gears to the carrier.

Rant over.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hoping it'll be a matter of time assuming Eaton will see a market value for it.
They recently introduced a rear Detroit Truetrac option for for the 2011 and up RAM 1500
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...roit-Truetrac-RAM-brochure-en-us-EPSL0009.pdf

So if you don't have the factory LSD this could work for you and it's more affordable than a eaton elocker. Eventually i'll add one assuming Eaton never releases the elocker. I'm just in wait and see mode :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was hoping to get some insight here.

Why are there no selectable locker options for the Ram ZF 9.25 rear diff?

It drives me nuts that no on demand locker exists, whether it's an air or E-locker.

With the sheer number of these trucks sold, you would think someone would have released one.

It is literally the only thing i want for my truck now, backcountry skiing requires access to snow covered forestry service roads. A rear locker would make things a hell of a lot easier.

I can understand not having a locker for the front because of the stupid decision to weld the gears to the carrier.

Rant over.

Somebody on one of the Ram facebook pages was supposedly looking into whether the 5th Gen e-locker housing would bolt up under a 4th Gen.That was awhile ago,and i don't know if he ever did it or not,but it might be something to check out.It's probably not going to be cheap though.If you can find a truck with the e-locker take a tape measure and measure it up to see if it'd actually bolt in,then it'd be a matter of wiring up the locker on probably a switched relay set-up.Just throwing out what i heard on the grapevine,lol

OP
OP
D

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Somebody on one of the Ram facebook pages was supposedly looking into whether the 5th Gen e-locker housing would bolt up under a 4th Gen.That was awhile ago,and i don't know if he ever did it or not,but it might be something to check out.It's probably not going to be cheap though.If you can find a truck with the e-locker take a tape measure and measure it up to see if it'd actually bolt in,then it'd be a matter of wiring up the locker on probably a switched relay set-up.Just throwing out what i heard on the grapevine,lol

I thought the 5th gen locker would be a direct swap.
However, it is not.
This is the answer I got from Yukon Gear when I asked them directly.

"Cross pin offset etc has changed, the zf carriers are not compatible with earlier versions"

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I thought the 5th gen locker would be a direct swap.
However, it is not.
This is the answer I got from Yukon Gear when I asked them directly.

"Cross pin offset etc has changed, the zf carriers are not compatible with earlier versions"

I think the idea was to swap the complete rear housing/diff assembly under the truck,not the guts of the diff. That's why it wouldn't be cheap,as i have no clue of what the complete housing would sell for either new or used,but i don't think it'd be what you'd call cheap,lol

OP
OP
D

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the idea was to swap the complete rear housing/diff assembly under the truck,not the guts of the diff. That's why it wouldn't be cheap,as i have no clue of what the complete housing would sell for either new or used,but i don't think it'd be what you'd call cheap,lol

It would be easier just to swap the entire rear end. However, the 5th gen moved to a 6 stud wheel bolt pattern...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It would be easier just to swap the entire rear end. However, the 5th gen moved to a 6 stud wheel bolt pattern...

Any decent machine shop can redrill the axles and rotors to your 5 bolt pattern.The axles might even interchange between the standard housing and the e-locker housing but that one i'd wonder about