Looking at 2012 ram. Any suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. I'm looking at a 2012 ram Laramie long Horn with 74k miles on it. As I'm not familiar with ram trucks, could those of you in the know please give me areas to look at while inspecting and test driving the vehicle.

Thank you

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, I guess that would be good info to have to help. 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 with the 5.7l

Also, Does this truck come prewired for a trailer brake controller? Looks like it has the 4-pin / 7pin combo trailer connector on the back next to the rear license plate.

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Listen for a loud, "slow" tick at idle that's persistent even when the engine is warmed up.

There are several different noises the 5.7 can make and people call all of them The Hemi Tick just to be confusing but really only one of them is a significant problem.

If it's a fast "sewing machine" ticking that's probably just the injectors doing their normal job and not a problem at all. If it goes away in the first ten seconds after start-up it's just normal hydraulic lifters building pressure - not a problem. If it goes away when the engine warms up it's possibly an exhaust manifold leak which should be repaired but isn't going to leave you stranded or destroy the engine. The only one to really be concerned about is a persistent slow(ish) tick that remains when the engine is warmed up - that's when one or more of the lifters has eaten its bearings and is being turned into glitter by the camshaft. Inspect the oil for glitter and if it's a celebration in there thank the seller for their time and look at a different truck.

I don't want to scare you the actual frequency of that problem seems to be really low remember they made millions of this engine so even if 0.1% of them did it that's a lot of engines... but not a big likelihood. High idle time seems to be related to it so if the truck has an idle hours counter you can check that for high idle hours. As for what constitutes "high idle hours" - nobody has a precise answer for that. I have about 45k miles and less than 100 idle hours, that's probably on the low side compared to average it's not much to go on but it's what I got.

The coolant and transmission will both need to be serviced soon. Coolant uses sacrificial rust inhibitors that age whether you drive or not so ten years is an ambitious age for coolant. This truck is likely to have the RFE transmission as I don't think the 8HP was available yet in 2012. Opinions are all over about the RFE transmission, mine is that it's a perfectly good machine whose only two real complaints (post-2009) are that it's not as good as the 8HP and that it's really at its reliable limits with about 400 horsepower so if you choose to build the engine or if you're in the habit of using every inch of a vehicle you're going to be spending money on transmissions. I don't think that constitutes an actual flaw if you just drive the truck with some basic mechanical sympathy & give the thing diligent maintenance it's a 300+k mile transmission and shift quality is decent. Great by 2012 standards, only downgraded to "decent" because newer gearboxes are awesome. It is my opinion that the RFE transmission should have its fluid and filters (2) changed around 60k miles if you want it to last, especially if you think it's being asked for more than just average work.

Last thing I'd check for mechanically is if the previous owner put a half-a$$ed lift or leveling kit on it. There are dozens of good ways to lift or level these trucks and a number of not-so-good ways. If it's had one of the not-so-good ones done (spacers on top of the front struts for example) you can figure if it ain't broke don't fix it, if you never leave the pavement that might work out fine for you forever. But if you might be taking the truck off road or if you want to optimize ride and handling there are plenty of ways to fix that right at almost any budget range.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regarding the trailer brake controller I am not 100% sure on a 2012 but I expect it's the same as my 2015 I was able to buy a module (OEM not aftermarket) that plugs into the harness under the dashboard and enables trailer brakes including all the integrated controls in the center gauge cluster. I also had to have that enabled by a dealership, it can be done with a diy software tool too but I was in a time crunch and didn't want to risk failure.

Those modules are model year specific, keep that in mind when shopping

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys SO MUCH!!! Sorry, it was a long day at work, so I couldn't check the web much. I've heard about the Hemi "tick" but that has to be one of the best explanations I've read. You made that crystal clear. I know exactly what I'm looking for now. I was just going to mash the go pedal during start up to prevent the engine from catching to see if there was a dead cylinder. I will probably still do that but will add your evaluation also.

I agree whole heartedly about the fluids. It is my general practice with any new "to me" vehicle to swap every single fluid the thing has so I'm starting with a clean slate. So I will definitely be following your advice.

The only down side to this truck is the 3.92 "Open" rear end. I would have preferred the limited slip but if the price is right, I'll shut up and color inside the little box I'm given. :p

The truck is not lifted and I usually avoid those or the one's with leveling kits. I'm an older guy (45) so I don't usually race these things. Hardly ever go over 3k RPM. I'm that old guy you all are probably flicking off going down the interstate. LOL. I just have the good sense to stay in the right lane!!! I have been known to tow heavy on occasion though.

Going to look at the truck tomorrow. I've rejected the last three trucks I've tried to buy due to excessive underbody corrosion. So I'm praying this one is better. Will let you guys know. I'll be checking the site just before I go to see if there is anything else. But from what I'm seeing, sounds like these are pretty solid units.

Thanks again

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
worst year ever ! I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole. 6 speed trans are trash.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2012 long bed reg cab like an hour ago. Has just a little bit of rust on the rear wheel well lip.
Looked at another last nite actually via computer, guy sent me pix to my phone that was worse.

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
My 2012 was great for the 2yrs I owned.. up until I killed Bambi's mom with it and then 2 weeks after getting it back broke a valve spring..

And with 3.92? You'll be above 3K more than you think (and enjoying every minute of it). As for pegleg, unless you see lot of snow, I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. Not much snow in Florida, so I think I'm ok on that front. :)

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 3.91s in my 96 Dakota, it doesn't run a crazy amount higher rpm at a given speed vs my 99 Dakota with 3.55s. though the 96 is a 4x4 and I have bigger tires on there than on the 99, wo the bigger tires are eating up some of the difference in gearing

ALFREDO SILVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sorry, I guess that would be good info to have to help. 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 with the 5.7l

Also, Does this truck come prewired for a trailer brake controller? Looks like it has the 4-pin / 7pin combo trailer connector on the back next to the rear license plate.
It comes wired for it but you’ll need to buy the harness and the controller to use it.

ALFREDO SILVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2012 RAM 1500 ST 4x4 CC 5.7L. I bought it with 100k I believe and currently have 135k on the ODO. I recently started getting a misfire code (blinking engine light) when I have the RPMs @ 4K+. New plugs, coils and clean injectors, so that leads to a came and roller issue. Just beware of that surfacing after 100k. Look for the glittery oil as mentioned.

I changed all my fluids when I got mine and WOW it made it feel like a new truck. The tranny was shifting better in a night/day difference. I also added a CAI and a free flow style muffler. I wouldn’t recommend a lift kit but mine came with a 4” kit so ehh…if you do ever consider any modification to the suspension, a level kit is good enough.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The 6 speed transmissions have some concerns, but I will disagree with the prior post that they are trash. Mine is serving me well so far, as of 12/30/21 now over 5 years in service.

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just remember, it will always be a labor of love. You're gonna have smiles, and tears. And every now and then, yank out some hair trying to solve an issue. BUT, in the end, you're a RAM owner. Enjoy your truck and good luck. One thing nobody can mistake, you're getting into this with a good frame of mind. Knowing there will be upgrades, and things to watch for, and take care of. I think you'll have plenty of great times and many miles with your new truck...

ALFREDO SILVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The 6 speed transmissions have some concerns, but I will disagree with the prior post that they are trash. Mine is serving me well so far, as of 12/30/21 now over 5 years in service.
I agree, my 6 speed has been good. At times i wish it would downshift around turns but that’s probably something to do with the MDS crap.

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok Guys, been a crazy ride the last two days. 1) The original truck I was looking at fell through. Sales manager insulted my Father while we were there and that was the end of that deal. 2) Father found a 2013 Laramie Long Horn with 95k miles at another dealer. That truck, although newer with more miles, is much nicer. Has some issues that I am working through. The one issue I can't wrap my head around is the driver's seat. The venting and heating options don't do much. Both switches work and light up as would be expected (when vented is turned on, the fan is audible) but no real notice of change in temp. The passenger seat has drastic changes in both hot and cooling effects. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I was able to check for the Hemi tick as described above. Neither truck has any audible ticking. Additionally neither truck has any perceivable dead spot when cranking the engine (gas pedal matted to prevent fire up). So that is a good sign. I have hired a local mechanic to go back to the dealer with me tomorrow to inspect the truck as the dealer won't let it leave without it being purchased. So will keep you informed. Will check back tomorrow for thoughts on the heated and vented drivers seat issue.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
'13 gets electric power steering, five more horsepower and the improved traction control + I think that's when the 8 speed trans became available so if the truck you're looking at has a knob to select park/reverse/drive it's got the 8 speed trans.

Those are "lifetime" fluid, except there's no such thing as lifetime fluid.

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. Vehicle passed mechanic's inspection. Signing paperwork now

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok Guys, Its official. I am the proud owner of a slightly used (LOL - 95K miles) 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn 1500 w/ the 5.7l CC 4x4. As stated above, she will need a little love. Let the party start!!! Thank you all!!!