loosing oil please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boarderkidd11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i keep loosing oil out of my 01 dodge 1500. cant find any leaks and dont think im burning oil cuz i dont see any smoke at all please help and let me know what to check out.. also i saw a small leake in the valve cover so i want to change that but im worried about the bolts breaking is it know to do that? and also i lost 4 quarts in 2000 miles

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
i keep loosing oil out of my 01 dodge 1500. cant find any leaks and dont think im burning oil cuz i dont see any smoke at all please help and let me know what to check out.. also i saw a small leake in the valve cover so i want to change that but im worried about the bolts breaking is it know to do that? and also i lost 4 quarts in 2000 miles

I'd bet my next paycheck that you have a blown intake plenum pan gasket. This causes the engine to burn oil, typically without and signs of burning.

OP
OP
boarderkidd11

boarderkidd11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how can i check to see if thats really the problem?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Pull your air filter housing off the throttle body and open the blades and look down into your intake. If the plenum is blown, you'll see oil

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

sticksxx84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2002 Ram 1500 Losing oil

I too keep losing oil out of my Dodge Ram. About 2000 after a oil change I was about 3 quarts low. I added oil and 1000 later low again. No oil in the driveway and no smoke out the tail.

2002 4x4 ram 1500
5.9l
72k miles

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Also check your PVC valve IF you have one, forgot what year they stopped useing them think it was 96 or 98....

cdubb33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '96 1500 with 221,000mi and have been rapidly losing oil. Two Thursdays ago I changed the oil as I was told the oil filter could be the problem. So I changed the oil and filter and come the next Friday I had lost almost 3 quarts of the 5 I had put in. The oil isn't leaking on the ground and there is a thin layer of oil/sludge in areas around and on the oil pan and I am being told it is most likely the oil pump. Any suggestions of what it could be and how I could go about checking into your suggestion?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a '96 1500 with 221,000mi and have been rapidly losing oil. Two Thursdays ago I changed the oil as I was told the oil filter could be the problem. So I changed the oil and filter and come the next Friday I had lost almost 3 quarts of the 5 I had put in. The oil isn't leaking on the ground and there is a thin layer of oil/sludge in areas around and on the oil pan and I am being told it is most likely the oil pump. Any suggestions of what it could be and how I could go about checking into your suggestion?

You need to stay away from whoever told you it was the filter or pump because they obviously do not know much. At the rate you are losing oil if you were leaking it the underside of your truck would be dripping wet and rustproofed forever. You are burning the oil, no two ways about it. Just because its not smoking does not mean its not eating it, the way oil enters the combustion chamber will be the deciding factor on wether or not it smokes. Check in your intake.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^Agreed. Check for oil in the intake. I had the same thing.