lowering a '12 ram 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
Jeff, this is not completely correct, you can still run different sized tires front/rear as long as the overall diameter is the same or at least within 1/4" diam. The PCM/ABS does allow for some difference between the front/rears to account for new/used tires. It's just easier to have the same wheel/tire combo all the way around as trying to find matching diameters can be a real PITA. I found one 22/24 combo in NT420s that would work, they're only .13" different in diameter.

There are no bump stops on the front of the 4wd, only on the 2wd. OP you probably have issues with the front shocks not liking their new position, a new set of shocks at stock length should solve the problem. If you replace them with a set of Bilstein 5100s then you can actually machine a lower groove for the retainer and use a stock length front spring rather than cut the spring again.

correct, I should have said same overall diameter. I remember the Quadraduce built years ago, it was a '32 ford roadster that was built w/ all wheel drive. they wanted to have a "hotrod" rake so they used larger diameter wheels in the back w/ lower profile tires. they were hoping it would pull off an optical illusion of Big & littles. I remember they had the different tire sizes calculated out to something like over "x" miles the front tires will have rotated "y" more times than the rears.
you can see how that would not be a great setup, therefore its easier to just say , keep them the same size :)

jeff

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
maybe they are not bump stops on the 4wd but that's what I thought they where. the rubber bumpers that slide over the shocks shaft?
If you cut too much spring, you will be ridding on the "stops"

I cut mine about in half.

jeff

808Donovan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Im I drill sergeant so I don't have much time when I get a chance ill try and snap some pics.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
maybe they are not bump stops on the 4wd but that's what I thought they where. the rubber bumpers that slide over the shocks shaft?
If you cut too much spring, you will be ridding on the "stops"

I cut mine about in half.

jeff

Ah, I gotcha, you're talking about the jounce bumper. I guess you could call it a bump stop, it just doesn't stop the lower control arm from hitting the frame like the 2wd version does.