Misfire cylinder 6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NjSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
(2015 ram 1500 extended cab 4x4 hemi 110,000 miles) Alright any help will be appreciated. Having a stumble when accelerating between 40-60mph or so. Smooths out if I let off the throttle a little. Check engine light came on after a couple times of this happening and was spitting a P0306 (mis in cylinder 6)code. Replaced the coil pack and plugs in cylinder 6 and now it’s missing like crazy when accelerating from 0mph all the way up and spitting out another code. P0306 & P1416. What do you guys think it is? It list multiple things that could be wrong. ( I tried disabling the mds by just manually switching gears on shifter but still missing)

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Because something is brand new doesn't mean it is good, I've been bitten by that in the past.

I'm assuming your engine is 100% stock.

Get the original plugs and coil pack and set aside the two new plugs and new coil pack. From another cylinder, take its coil pack and install it on #6 and the suspect coil pack on the doner cylinder. See if the misfire followed the coil pack. If it doesn't, try the same doner swap with the plugs. If the misfire remains with #6 then I would take a look at the coil pack's electrical connector, make sure it is clean. Outside of that, the issue may be in the cylinder, for example, some cause of compression loss.

The P1416 is likely the O2 sensor detecting the unburned fuel from #6.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s probably everyones favorite ,lifters and cam . might be time to remove a valve cover and inspect movement of rockers.

OP
OP
N

NjSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shop is saying I need lifters and injectors replaced. How many hours does that take? Just wondering how many hours they will hit me with or what the book calls for?

OP
OP
N

NjSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any idea how many hours the job will take?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any idea how many hours the job will take?
If you cant do it yourself when I did mine cam/lifters its about 1k in parts took 1 day a shop will probably charge around 2k ish. What part of jersey you from? It is weird to me they say injector and lifters? its going to be one or the other not both I would have someone else confirm also avoid the dealer at all cost.

OP
OP
N

NjSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burlington county (near the base)

Needyourhelp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.8 l
I just changed out my lifters and cam. When i pulled the lifters out of The bix one rear set had a lifter that was not in the rail holder. I went to put it into the holder and it was like the holder shrunk. I seriously struggled until finally i got it to go in the holder but it was tight no moving it up and down like the other ones. When I installed it i put the pushrods in and pushed down on the lifter with the push rods. The lifters all went down to where they met up eith the cam lobes. Cylinder 6 was very tight but it went down. After putting everything back together I now have cylinder 6 misfire. Today i was going to check the injectors and swap 6 to 5 and inspect the sparkplug gap.
I have only driven the truck for 25 minutes to the store and back . Misfire only occurs while idle after 3 minutes or so. Today i will use a stop watch .
What are your thoughts?
Bad lobe on cam?
Lifter?
Injector?
Spark plug?
I did not feel comfortable when the lifter didn’t fit in the rail holder or whatever the correct name is that holds the lifters. Im hoping it might breakin over time..
easy job , cam and lifters just time consuming Especially if you have to wait for a part like I did.

Needyourhelp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.8 l
Just sharing a picture

Attachments

• 2B4498F7-930E-4D5D-A78B-5CAEECE17E3A.jpeg
    2B4498F7-930E-4D5D-A78B-5CAEECE17E3A.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Members online