Mopar 2" lift - rear noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harris342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Does anyone notice a new noise after installing the Mopar 2" lift kit? Specifically from the rear of the vehicle. It sounds similar to leaving your hitch in the receiver while hitting a bump. I have had my mechanic look things over and they find no issues. It sounds to me like the new springs are rattling on the axle if I hit a small transition in the road. I do notice if I have weight in the bed (300 lbs) or more and I hit a bump the sound appears to be gone.
2017 Ram 1500 CC 6'4" bed

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's likely the top coils contacting when they collapse and the 2nd rate engages. People notice the same noise with the Icon progressive springs. You can try to find a rubber or synthetic coil wrap for that section of the spring so that when the softer stage collapses it doesn't make contact noise, but it is working as designed.

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/SLF-140_xl.jpg?rep=False

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not had that noise, have had the Mopar 4th gen 2" lift installed since 2015.
The only noise I have is a slight urethane squeak when cold from the aftermarket control arms I also installed.

But if the noise really is from the first stage coils stacking, it's possible my reg. cab puts less weight on them so they're not as likely to make contact except on big bumps.

OP
OP
Harris342

Harris342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Maybe it is more rare due to the CC and 6.4" bed but I wasn't sure. As Joshua09 said sounds like the Icon Progressive Springs can have the same issue. Not sure this is specific to the longer length beds.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually have a rear shock from my 6” kit making a similar noise to a hitch receiver still being in and making noise over small bumps

At least I should say that’s what I think. When I unspring the weight and lift it up with a jack......the bad shock has play in it and can move by hand.....while the good one is too tight to wiggle by hand.

now what I’m not sure of is if it is my shock making this noise...is it a bad shock or bushing (or both)?

OP
OP
Harris342

Harris342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I actually have a rear shock from my 6” kit making a similar noise to a hitch receiver still being in and making noise over small bumps

At least I should say that’s what I think. When I unspring the weight and lift it up with a jack......the bad shock has play in it and can move by hand.....while the good one is too tight to wiggle by hand.

now what I’m not sure of is if it is my shock making this noise...is it a bad shock or bushing (or both)?
So you are leaning more towards the shock and not the spring?

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you are leaning more towards the shock and not the spring?
For my truck because I’ve jacked the back up and pushed/pulled on everything.

Only thing I noticed was the driver side rear shock has play in it and it does make a noise when I yank back and forth on it. The passenger side doesn’t do any of that.

But I’m still not 100% sure. It’s just my hunch with my truck and I could be wrong but you could check yours to see too.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And I also thought it was my receiver. So I took it out to see but that didn’t solve it.

So I think we have a similar noise we’re hearing for sure. Not sure if it’s the same culprit though.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Disconnect the bottom bolt/eye of the shocks and have a big girl(or boy) jump in the bed when you’re underneath.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Disconnect the bottom bolt/eye of the shocks and have a big girl(or boy) jump in the bed when you’re underneath.
What type of change are we trying to create and what difference should we look for as an outcome of this “test” with the big girl jumping up and down? lol

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Just replicating the squeak to pinpoint it underneath.

You probably don’t have to unhook the shock but it will allow you to do a more vigorous test.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have a annoying rattle from somewhere in the rear of my 2012 Ram 1500. I have stock rear coils. I don’t hear it when I tow. I also thought it was my locking receiver hitch pin. But I still hear it after removing the pin.
It’s weird how weight in the bed or towing quiets the rattle!

OP
OP
Harris342

Harris342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I also have a annoying rattle from somewhere in the rear of my 2012 Ram 1500. I have stock rear coils. I don’t hear it when I tow. I also thought it was my locking receiver hitch pin. But I still hear it after removing the pin.
It’s weird how weight in the bed or towing quiets the rattle!
Thanks for the options everyone. I am testing a few things out. I decided to first start with some small rubber spacers in-between the coils on the rear springs to see if it will silence this noise. Will try this for a bit and then move on...
I agree it is strange how the sound goes away when weight is in the bed or towing. Thats why I though the first response made the most sense about the 2nd rate spring hitting the first.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be the coil springs binding on the death coils. I went ahead and bought a clear hose from Lowes and did cut some little pieces and wrapped them around my Icon coils around to keep them quiet.

40394813723_efd2ad6d48_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

33485831888_a1fc74fa97_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

46638842114_8a651e9681_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Later on i decided to replace the Icon Spring as i wanted to run longer shocks, and went with the SLF-140 springs.
48083681087_32857d2bb0_h.jpg by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48089805256_989d710cc3_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I guess because of the extra 440lbs i have in the back of my truck the noise wasn't an issue with those springs, but just with that much weight the SLF-140's sagged in full and lost the 2" they should have had within a week so i ended returning them and went back with the Icon coils and added a 1" daystar spacer. Maybe i could remove the homemade isolators from the Icons since i have all that extra weight and they should be ok too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981