Rear Springs for Lift and Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tohopko

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still in the planning stages, but I think I am going with Fox 2.0s all around. I'm looking at 2 to 2.5 up front. I'm torn between Icon 1.5", Eibach 1", or the TufTruck 1223VT springs for the rear to maintain a little rake. The truck will almost always have a canopy (pap cap) and a rubber bed mat that work out to around 200lbs combined. The truck will get lots of highway time, but also some rough forest service and ranch two track road use. I will occasionally tow a couple of different utility trailer, as well as sometimes strapping a rack and motorcycle on the back that will go 450lbs.

I've seen one review on the Icons that stated they were great off road, but too bouncy on-road (paired with Icon shocks). The Eibachs and 1223VT seem like they may be a little short with any sag at all from the canopy and mat. Anyone have firsthand knowledge of the variations? @Quick_Shifter --I know you recommended the Icons. On road performance okay with the weight of your canopy?

I'm not against doing bags for the times when I do tow, either in-coil or the Airlift 5000.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know these aren’t on your list, but for what it’s worth I’ve been extremely happy with these. Pictures show them as being single rate but they are dual rate and lifted me 2.5”. Very very little sag with between 3 and 4 hundred lbs in the bed. Rides noticeably better then stock both on and off road imo, I was impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_9474.jpeg
    IMG_9474.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9475.jpeg
    IMG_9475.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 8

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Eibach kit front and rear. The front is raised 2 inches and with the Eibach springs the rear still sits 1.5 inches or so higher, I also have a fiberglass cap. With my 285/70/17s it pretty much looks factory since the height and tires both increased and there is still some rake. The ride on the road/highway has been good but driving over speed bumps gives a feeling in the rear where it seems the suspension is oscillating up and down rapidly. I'm not sure if it is due to the shocks or the springs but I haven't been overly concerned about since it's just been noticeable on speed bumps in parking lots. I haven't driven on any washboard roads (yet) but I suspect that may not go well. I haven't heard of any similar complaints from the forum so maybe it's just my truck. I did talk to Eibach about it in the first couple of weeks after installation and they tried to pass it off as it's just a stiffer spring and nothing else, but that doesn't account for what I'm feeling. I've done quite a few suspension kits on coil, leaf, IFS, SFA, etc.. on different trucks and Jeeps and this is the only time I've encountered this issue. I think the spring has worked well for other users so maybe it's the shocks or maybe something I did, who knows. I'd probably recommend them as a good option to be paired with the Fox shocks though.

OP
OP
Tohopko

Tohopko

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Eibach kit front and rear. The front is raised 2 inches and with the Eibach springs the rear still sits 1.5 inches or so higher, I also have a fiberglass cap. With my 285/70/17s it pretty much looks factory since the height and tires both increased and there is still some rake. The ride on the road/highway has been good but driving over speed bumps gives a feeling in the rear where it seems the suspension is oscillating up and down rapidly. I'm not sure if it is due to the shocks or the springs but I haven't been overly concerned about since it's just been noticeable on speed bumps in parking lots. I haven't driven on any washboard roads (yet) but I suspect that may not go well. I haven't heard of any similar complaints from the forum so maybe it's just my truck. I did talk to Eibach about it in the first couple of weeks after installation and they tried to pass it off as it's just a stiffer spring and nothing else, but that doesn't account for what I'm feeling. I've done quite a few suspension kits on coil, leaf, IFS, SFA, etc.. on different trucks and Jeeps and this is the only time I've encountered this issue. I think the spring has worked well for other users so maybe it's the shocks or maybe something I did, who knows. I'd probably recommend them as a good option to be paired with the Fox shocks though.
Thanks! Sounds like a bit of a mismatch between shock valving and spring rates. That's one of my concerns.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Still in the planning stages, but I think I am going with Fox 2.0s all around. I'm looking at 2 to 2.5 up front. I'm torn between Icon 1.5", Eibach 1", or the TufTruck 1223VT springs for the rear to maintain a little rake. The truck will almost always have a canopy (pap cap) and a rubber bed mat that work out to around 200lbs combined. The truck will get lots of highway time, but also some rough forest service and ranch two track road use. I will occasionally tow a couple of different utility trailer, as well as sometimes strapping a rack and motorcycle on the back that will go 450lbs.

I've seen one review on the Icons that stated they were great off road, but too bouncy on-road (paired with Icon shocks). The Eibachs and 1223VT seem like they may be a little short with any sag at all from the canopy and mat. Anyone have firsthand knowledge of the variations? @Quick_Shifter --I know you recommended the Icons. On road performance okay with the weight of your canopy?

I'm not against doing bags for the times when I do tow, either in-coil or the Airlift 5000.
What are your current measurements? Going with the super lift 2” like @mrack mentioned is not a bad idea

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
She'll drive a bit on the firm side with the Fox 2.0's all around but should be a good firm (sportier ride)
Icon 1.5" coils should put you at 1" with the 200lbs of extra weight in the back easy peasy and they pair good with the Fox 2.0 shocks.

Not sure where you read the Icon springs/ shocks combo been bouncy onroad but great offroad ? Makes no sense at all if it bouncy onroad it will suck balls 4 more times offroading. the only issue i've seen with the Icon 2.0 shocks is they don't seem to include an offset bushings for the shocks and given the way the body on those shocks run at the top you have to file the mount at the top. Fox 2.0 should not have those issues. King 2.5 give you offset bushings so that's not an issue, i think Fox 2.5 also have the offset ones so no issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357