Morosso oil separator/catch can....surprising amount of oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mreservices

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Laramie 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a Moroso oil separator/catch can the night before I was heading on a several day vacation. It shows the Monroe so because I liked the draining process more so than trying to reach in and unscrew the bottom of the can. I’m having rotator cuff surgery next week and felt it would be easier to drain the can. Drove down to the beach which was approximately 280 miles and then put another 300 or so driving around the area. Checked it on the last day before we came back and I was shocked at how much oil was separated. I drained it into a clear water bottle. Rough guess would be the equivalent of a little more than a quarter of a Dixie cup full.... If anyone remembers what those are. I know this is a hot topic for debate however I feel more comfortable that I’m not getting that additional oil dumped into my throttle body. One thing other thing of note, right after I installed the catch can, I went ahead and cleaned out the throttlebody with seafoam spray. Ran that per the instructions and had a fair amount of smoke for a few minutes. Mine is a 2016 with roughly 25,000 miles on it. Hopefully that should help to keep it clean.

OP
OP
mreservices

mreservices

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Laramie 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your feedback. Back from vacation and I put about another 600 to 800 miles on the ram. Got about the same amount of oil from the catch can. I know it’s a hot topic but I feel like It’s a good preventative maintenance for the engine. If it last longer it’s worth the extra effort. Figure I’ll drain it about every 1000 miles. I know people say that if the manufacture didn’t do it then it wasn’t required. I get that however I work with people who barely change the oil or rotate tires, much less would check the oil on a catch can. Of course their vehicles are the first ones to have problems and they spend thousands to repair while mine are always running perfectly. A little preventative maintenance is well worth it in my opinion. Going to run a drain line from the Maroso to the bottom of the truck this weekend. That way I can just push the oil drain container underneath the truck and open up the valve.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
C55E619E-E2F5-43D0-9690-CD7C0821FF3B.jpeg This is my first can and very first dump. I have since moved on to a UPR as this was a $30 Amazon product that I was “testing out” before I spent the $130 on a good one. They all work good and keeps that intake cleaner! Highly recommend this product on all of our trucks.

Marcus Bancroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That doesn't look like oil it looks bad coffee from IHOP, or more like a mix of condensation and oil or oil fumes, Whats the best way to clean out the mess from the throttle body once the can is installed ?

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That doesn't look like oil it looks bad coffee from IHOP, or more like a mix of condensation and oil or oil fumes, Whats the best way to clean out the mess from the throttle body once the can is installed ?

Just remove the throttle body and clean with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush. It's very easy. 4 bolts and one electrical plug.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just remove the throttle body and clean with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush. It's very easy. 4 bolts and one electrical plug.

Should unhook the negative battery post when you unplug the throttle body,then do a throttle body relearn afterwards.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 197590 This is my first can and very first dump. I have since moved on to a UPR as this was a $30 Amazon product that I was “testing out” before I spent the $130 on a good one. They all work good and keeps that intake cleaner! Highly recommend this product on all of our trucks.

How many miles before your last oil change and that picture?

That looks brown.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is my second truck and 2nd catch can. Put my can on this truck at 100 miles. It now has 5700 and this is my second dump
No way in hell will I ever own a hemi without one to keep this crap out of the intake!!!

20200411_125239.jpg