MPG dropped 5mpg in Cold Weather?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jutsinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2009 Ram XLT, 4x4 Quad, Diablo Predator 91 octane tune, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster 40 that has dropped 5 mpg in the colder weather.

70 degree day: 14.5 city and 22.1 highway
30 degree day: 10.1 city and 17.1 highway

These are all taking the same exact routes I take each day.

Is this normal for cold weather or should I be looking into this further. Should I rerun the Predator tune and have the ECM relearn for cold weather?

Thanks

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well there are a few factors here, I know we had rain and it froze to everything last night so I ran my Ram this morning for 10 or 15 mins for a safe drive. This absolutely kills milage in these trucks. The other is gas stations are starting to switch over to winter fuel and that stuff sucks for milage. Third thing is more cold dense air the more the computer is going to compensate and add a little more fuel. Hope this helps alittle.

OP
OP
J

jutsinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. The mpg dropped when I fueled up this past week. I use the same 93 octane gas and station as usual. I will just deal with it until it gets warmer. I do enjoy how it CAI growls when it gets colder out. lol.

Also, I am getting new Cooper Zeons LTZs put on today (I have the stock Goodyears right now) and I got a feeling my mpg will drop much more. There was a buy 3 get 1 free tire sale at Farm and Fleet. Cost me $760 for everything.... install and lifetime rotate/balance.