My Write Up on the Folding Back Seat Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again...doing this tonight!

TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: I've now done "both" back seats...whew! The only thing I'll add here is the hooks on the wider seat needed more cutting on my '16 Reb than the narrower seat. Why, I don't know, but I wanted folks to know just in case!

While I printed your detailed directions, I never really consulted 'em once I got down to it. I guess reading them over and over again here at work practically ingrained them into my brain. Anyway, for anyone considering this, think of it as a Pedal Commander for your back seat...while it won't add horsepower to your Ram or make it sexier, it will make it more enjoyable.

The OP is right, though, as there isn't tons of room back there, but it would be a nice place for a variety of things long and thin, like a baseball bat or a truck gun of your choosing (where legal). Seriously, though, for those of us with crowded RamBoxes, this area is a good place to relo items he mentioned...jumper cables and tie-down straps come to my mind!

Again, thanks to PowrRam for the instructions, as I really didn't like the idea of adding washers (and height) to the seat just for access. Those with the sunroof option can figure out why, right?

TXCOMT

Last edited:

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just finished my back seat mod. Works great. Excluding loosening the bolts, it took about 30 min. About those bolts... a word of advice about the back, out-side bolts: These two bolts are open air underneath the truck (you can see them poking thru the floor). Because of this, gunk and rust builds up on these bolts making them a @#$% to loosen. After the first one, I cleaned up the other as best I could before loosening, and it helped. The other bolts only had to loosen a few complete turns before my 50 ft-lb air ratchet could take over. The first outside bolt had to come most of the way out before the air ratchet could finish it. The second only had to come about 1/3 of the way out. Trust me, these took a LOT of effort with a long handle 3/8 ratchet. I suppose the older your truck is, the harder these come out (mine has 29k miles on it).

I used a hack saw about 3/16" up from the bottom of that plastic piece and it took all of 30 sec. to cut through. I then used an angle grinder (a bit of overkill actually) to de-burr the cut.

All in all, I'm pleased. Works just as advertised. Now I just have to save up to get a good AR-15 to put back there. :naughty:
:shooter:

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can’t even get the bolts that hold my rear seat down out to do this mod

They can be a bear. Try crawling under and cleaning the part of the bolt that protrudes through cab bottom.
I did this mod but my backseat usually looks like this...lol

Screenshot_20190409-200956_Photos.jpg

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like Ramm5.7 said, clean the bolts that stick thru (my '16 has 2, not sure about an '11). Use some penetrating oil for a couple of days, get a wire brush up there and clean the threads best you can, and then the longest handle ratchet wrench you have (use a pipe if you have to on the handle) to get the most leverage you can- you'll need it.
If you have a buddy with a heavy duty air ratchet (90+ ft-lbs) it give you more effort than the small 50 fl-lb one that I used.

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
another thought... the right threaded die from a tap and die set on the end of the bolts will clean a lot of the threads up. I didn't have one the right size, or I would have done that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990