Need Insight on a 2010 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhyno37

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
Hey guys, looking for some input from those who've owned a 2009+ RAM 1500. Looking to trade in my 05 Sierra for something a bit newer. Originally I was turned off by Dodge, but after seeing countless "truck of the year" awards and reading more in depth, I've found that the quality is much better post 2002, even more so after the Fiat purchase in 2008. That's besides the point though. Looking to trade in my truck because its got 120k miles and the rockers are rusting to hell (imagine that).

Some background on my needs first. I live in Illinois, and primarily have a truck for the 4x4 in the winters. Second, I do a lot of yard work. I rarely ever haul heavy loads, and never tow. Work in the town I live, short commute. Started looking at Dodge since they are a bit cheaper and are getting great reviews. My family's had enough issues with GM and their recalls, and F150s are a bit more expensive and I hated my 06 lariat.

I've found a 2010 RAM 1500 that seems to fit my needs and price range perfectly. It's a Quad Cab SLT Big Horn Edition with 4x4, 60k miles. The dealer (which I've had good luck with in the past) is asking $18,500 which is a bit below book value. Test driving it the end of this week, but from a look at it on the lot there's no major problems, found some very small rust spots need the bottom of the front wheel well but they seem to be just surface meaning rock chips. Carfax shows 1 owner, no recalls or accidents, and regularly scheduled maintenance. From a quick google search, I haven't found any major problems with this year. only downside I could see would be that it has the 4.7L V8, but from my research that's plenty for my needs since I don't tow and makes about as much power as my current 5.3L. That being said, I have a few questions:

1) Any major or common mechanical problems I should be aware of for this year? Had an 06 F150, major issues with the 5.4 Triton (Spark Plugs, Cam Phasers, etc).

2) Any major issues with rust on these trucks? I know the older Dodges had clear coat failure and rusted like hell. I've had an 03 Silverado and an 05 Sierra, and both the rocker panels rusted to hell.

3) Is the 4.7 sufficient for me? Looking around, I'd get slightly better mpg than the 5.7 but less power. I won't be towing or hauling heavy loads. Also, won't be looking at after market performance parts.

Besides that, feel free to chime in on anything else or ask questions. I'd appreciate input on your own Ram as well. Thanks!

Obligatory Pictures

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That price is a tad high for a 4.7. Get the Hemi. Same mpg with 80-85 more hp. If you're not dead set on a big horn and will go with a lesser optioned express you can find one cheaper. But I'd definitely get the hemi motor.