Need Rear-End Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
A protruding hitch will only protect a light direct impact, anything offset or at an angle will be the same result.

View attachment 194573
That looks like a glorified handlebar.
Ford came up with the ultimate family saver with their aluminum bodies. I just missed a rear ending by a Honda Accord to a brand new F-150 Alumabody.
The collision severly damaged the Honda setting off it's zillion airbags.
The F-150's bed crumpled like HD Reynolds Wrap. The owner walked with zero airbag deployment. I'm sure two totaled vehicles were the outcome.

Last edited:

enforcer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2019
Engine
6.4L, 5.7L
The problem with the "beavertail" style hitch steps are that they are cast. They are susceptible to breaking if you step on them.

I've been in 3 rear end collisions in the year that I have lived here. They were low speed impacts; mostly people not paying attention at stoplights. All 3 were in my 2010 Kia though. Its just my A to B beater.

I have been looking at this one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTXCNT...olid=2WPNDSTEE974Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
51Id4GUc6OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I realize that it would do nothing for an offcenter impact but I'm just trying to save the bumper. Nothing will prevent damage of a major impact. So either the bumper takes the hit and tweaks the frame or the hitch receiver takes the hit and bends the frame. Hopefully with this style it would deflect the car under the bumper a bit.

I have had one of these on my trucks since my 1997 2500, which was the only one where it came into play. As stated earlier in this thread, the hitch is not an ideal point of impact as it will not absorb the impact but transfer it to the most rigid part of the truck (and your neck). At least with this, it will try to force the impact under and hopefully not leave you feeling the impact in your neck and back for the rest of your life. At least that is my hope ... the one time it came into play was a tap at a red light by a car not realizing the light had not changed. Hosed their grill, scratched some matte black paint off the skid plate hitch. :)

Xchief1108

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you're not looking for a bumper this is what I have on my Durango and Ram. Sorry no pic of the Ram right now. If you see in the pic we got rear ended and it almost totaled the other car and the shop said it saved us over $3000 in repairs. Now if you have a 5th gen Ram with rear parking sensors. You have to shut them off. I never liked them anyway because of the auto braking. Sorry for the long rant. IMG_9296.jpg

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I've always left my ball mount in the back. Had one college student roll into the back of me at a red light once. He already had about a dozen scrapes on his front bumper, so wasn't sure which one was my hitch, but didn't have any damage on my 1500. It was such a low speed, I wasn't worried about the hitch. Had a slight scratch to the paint on my ball mount, but it kept my bumper from getting scratched.

I really like the idea of the sparebumper. Have never heard of them before, so it looks like I have something else to buy for the truck now.
If someone hits me hard enough to bend the receiver or frame on my 2500 diesel, then I'm sure I'll have other issues to deal with.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After my rear-ending, I'm looking to add something on the hitch for a bit more protection.

I'm looking at these 3 on Amazon. I like the battering ram design of the pintle plate (only 6" shank).

Any thoughts? Something better? Prefer solid steel, no plastic/rubber.

UKbGOFc.png

3lHp6nr.png

OShcize.png
I have the top one now for 3 years and love it but they should all do the trick!

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Ontario Canada, and believe that all province it is illegal to drive with any thing in your hitch unless it is used. So all the trucks that you see with the trailer hitch ball they can be subject to a $250 fine. I would check in your states before using them I know you protect your truck but when you get a ticket after you are not at fault and are rear ended would be insult
Legal here in Michigan but will have to remember that if I take a trip over across the border.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always left my ball mount in for extra protection. Way back when I had my 1997 2500 GMC pickup I was rear ended by a Gen 3 Camaro going about 35 or so. Did nothing to my truck at all but demolished his front end and radiator! I will say those GMT 400 trucks were pretty tough!

Will S

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
If you're not looking for a bumper this is what I have on my Durango and Ram. Sorry no pic of the Ram right now. If you see in the pic we got rear ended and it almost totaled the other car and the shop said it saved us over $3000 in repairs. Now if you have a 5th gen Ram with rear parking sensors. You have to shut them off. I never liked them anyway because of the auto braking. Sorry for the long rant. View attachment 194736

Which model is this? Looks to be different than the spare bumper variety.

DZTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good info to have re: Ontario Law.

I wonder if it has ever been debated that the Spare Bumper is being used when it is in place. Depending on the wording of the law I suppose.
From the "SpareBumper" manufacturer:

"Never had an issue in 15 years.

Sometimes there are problems when you have a ball mount in the receiver hitch when you're not towing a trailer.

But you only get fined if there's an accident...the cops don't typically ticket you for driving around when not in use.

Our bumpers are no different than a bike rack or cargo carrier...there are no issues."

Jeff

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Not necessarily. The bolts will shear off prior to any frame damage.
Yes an offroad type bumper would be my recommendation but for some the cost is way more than the worth.

Blue Mule

Edit: frame damage 'can still occur' but can help to minimize the damage.
Blue Mule
McBroom

I just got done replacing my non-hitch crossmember with the hitch one (all factory parts). The way the crossmember mounts, it has pins on the face of the frame and bottom that lock the crossmember into the frame as one unit. There is no way the bolts will sheer without a large about of damage because of this design. You can see the way the bumper and crossmember is design the bumper is designed to take the hit and crumble before the hitch and crossmember.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Maybe a heavier duty bumper. If you use the hitch to absorb an impact you are more likely to end up with frame damage vs using the bumper
so true- a new rear bumper and even a tail-gate thrown in is probably a better option than a twisted frame.--same holds true with the bull bars in front although it could be a toss-up if your looking at front bumper, grill, rad, lights etc,etc. It all comes down to how much force the impact is. Cops in Canada where i live anyway tell me that they can ticket you for having an extended hitch without a red flag on it -dont know if thats true or not-but if your a ***** to them they can find something to make you regret not being respectful! LOL

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is pretty harsh. (Canadian laws suck). The issue that the bumper are made to take the impact of rear end collusion to help reduce the injuries to the occupants in the vehicle, The second bumper or what ever you want to call them but we’ll probably cause more damage to your truck frame then just replacing the bumper

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sure Canadian laws suck-but are American ones much better? And are BEER is way,way BETTER!! LOL
Soooooo very true. I'll have a southern comfort n coke on that.

Blue Mule

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was hit from behind while at a stoplight in my JK Wrangler. The 16 year old driver had only had her full license for two weeks when she hit me. She was texting on her phone, looked up to see the light had turned green, and just gassed it. The only problem was that my Jeep was in her way. I was probably 10 cars back from the light so I hadn't started moving yet. I had my trailer ball installed in my hitch. It punched a nearly circular hole through her front license plate and bumper cover. If I had not had the ball installed, the leading edge of the hood on her Honda would of hit my spare tire. It would of broken the spare tire mount and possibly damaged the tailgate and maybe the body where the tailgate hinges mount.

In short, the ball mount saved my spare tire bracket and possibly the tailgate.

I just want a little protection from collisions like that for my Ram.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca