Need some advice on installing Bilstein 5100 struts on 2018 ram 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried using the cheap strut spring compressors at autozone. Scared the crap out of me watching those bolts bow. Lol. I backed off and did not get the job done. Any recommended spring compressors or places around Dayton Ohio to take just the old strut assemblies and new bilsteins into to get parts switched without paying an arm and leg. Thanks

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Harbor freight single action spring compressor worked great for me. Used it multiple times. Or any off-road shop should be able to do it.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I tried using the cheap strut spring compressors at autozone. Scared the crap out of me watching those bolts bow. Lol. I backed off and did not get the job done. Any recommended spring compressors or places around Dayton Ohio to take just the old strut assemblies and new bilsteins into to get parts switched without paying an arm and leg. Thanks
Any local repair shop can put them together for you. Bring the new and old ones with you

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used this set for my Ram springs on Bilsteins, as well as Eibach springs on Bilsteins. Much more sturdy than the Autozone rental ones, no sketchy stuff. Just make sure to unscrew and grease the threads before using it and don't use power tools (it's in the instructions, but also I've read that the threads are brittle and impact tools can strip them)

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the advice. I went and picked up the single action spring compressor from Harbor Freight today. Ill take a stab at it tomorrow. And tips on getting that top nut off the strut without it spinning, hopefully without vice grips or channel locks? lol

ClassicJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Harbor freight single action spring compressor worked great for me. Used it multiple times. Or any off-road shop should be able to do it.
The Pittsburgh or the McPherson?

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the advice. I went and picked up the single action spring compressor from Harbor Freight today. Ill take a stab at it tomorrow. And tips on getting that top nut off the strut without it spinning, hopefully without vice grips or channel locks? lol
While locked in the spring compressor but no compression on them hit it with a 3/8 impact gun. If no air available, slight compression, allen in shaft, box end on nut and plenty of penetrating oil.

Fireguy351

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did those on my 18 1500 last weekend. I used a pass thru socket for the big nut and a small socket inside that for the strut. Came right off

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
How did this work out for you? Thinking about Bilsteins on my 2016 outdoorsman.

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far the spring compressor is working great. Seems very stable and I'm not nearly as sketched out as I was with the two piece style. I will admit though I'm stumped at this point. It's all apart with the strut out of the coil. I know that I reuse the mopar lower spring seat but what do I do with the top part that I had to knock off the mopar strut to remove the lower spring seat. I've seen some videos of people not using it and some videos of people putting it on the bilstein. Does anyone know for certain if I reuse this or not?20220116_174311.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well all done. Worked out great. Took longer than I wanted to but that seems to be how it always works out. Lol. Worst part was trying to torque down that damn top strut nut. I will admit, I now have a fair amount of respect for harbor freight also. Lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did this work out for you? Thinking about Bilsteins on my 2016 outdoorsman.
My 16 Outdoorsman struts were significantly heavier than the Bilsteins. I only kept the 5100's on for about a month and went back to stock - gave the 5100's away.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Hmm? But they won't lift the front at all? What do you mean by heavier? I thought they were the same as standard struts?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The strut rod diameter is much thicker than the Bilsteins.
They won't lift the front of the truck, a spacer would though, might take a mpg hit as the Outdoorsman already sits a bit higher in the front and has a much smaller air dam under the bumper to block air from hitting the frame under the engine.

I actually lowered my Outdoorsman trying to get better than 17 mpg highway :) It's almost exclusively highway driven.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm? But they won't lift the front at all? What do you mean by heavier? I thought they were the same as standard struts?

On a 4wd 1500 no matter what trim package, as long as it's not air suspension the 5100's will lift the front of the truck. There are five positions for the lower spring seat and that dictates static ride height. Bottom one is stock height for standard suspension, 2nd one is stock height for factory raised ride height option, the other three are all above that.

The weight of a shock absorber isn't a measure of quality, its only job is controlling linear movement and the less it weighs the better really, half of it is unsprung weight.

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After driving today I'll say the 5100s smoothed the ride out quite a bit. The old mopars pushed in very easily with my whopping 170 pound body. Couldn't get the bilsteins to move. Set it on the 4th clip location for 2 inches. Worked perfect. The front is now right about 1 inch lower than the rear. Now just to get some for the back end.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Should of bought a 3.6L I'm getting almost 20 combined mileage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990