New and shopping for 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svanarts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hey all, I just joined the forum to do some research. I own a 2012 Ram 1500 Flex Fuel vehicle, AKA the gutless wonder. It actually does okay towing our travel trailer on the flats but on any good grade it struggles. So I'm shopping around for a good used 3500 diesel truck. Because... why not? We'll be moving up to a 5th wheel trailer in a few years and I don't want to buy another truck later. So get what I need now.

So I have a question though, I'm see A LOT of 2020 Ram trucks for sale on Autotrader. Is there an issue with the 2020 models that people are trying to get rid of these trucks? Maybe just lease returns? Just wondering if anyone has heard anything. I can't afford a new truck so used it is. Are there any years in particular to avoid or look for? Thanks in advance and happy to be here.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
2019+ is when they changed the engine block composition and also went to hydraulic lifters requiring a lighter oil than in the past that so many are use too. Also 19-20's used CP4 pumps that are prone to failure although many 2020s were replaced with a CP3 under recall. So buying used and not knowing history of how it was serviced is a gamble in my opinion.
I'd avoid 2022s. Valvetrain failure, Aisin Trans snapring issue, and regen/emissions issues on that year trucks are most problematic.
I might be bias but I'd look for a 2018. Most reliable solid platform out of all the DEF era trucks. This was the last year for that 4th gen body style front end in the HD trucks. But I'd settle for 2015-2018 too.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A lot of people swap vehicles ever 2-3 years so that is what you are seeing. The only thing I would worry about is buying a "modified" truck. I'd be looking for something that some kid hasn't molested.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IF you don't absolutely need a diesel I would not buy one. Would a gas 3500 fit your needs? If so I would not overlook a gas powered heavy duty truck. They are very capable and without the emission issues of new diesel trucks

Bike_Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There was a brief period, I don't remember exactly when, when they had cp4 injection pumps. They are crap and there's a recall, but replacement parts availability is poor which led to some folks having trucks down for months. Outside of few specific issues like that they are great trucks regardless of year. I have an '18 3500 and love it. Imo the 13-18 is likely a little more simple and rugged, the 19+ a little quieter, smoother, and maybe a tad more prone to issues. I'd have no qualms owning either.

Get the HO model for the better trans.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If towing a 5th wheel is going to be the vehicle's primary purpose in life definitely go for the diesel.

That said whatever you buy make sure to get the extended warranty offered by your dealer. My father-in-law purchased a 2018 3500 Cummins with about 60k miles on it about a year ago and it's been in the shop twice, once for an oil leak and then the DEF injection system failed. Both repairs covered under warranty.

OP
OP
svanarts

svanarts

Reaction score
Ram Year
This is all great info and exactly what I'm looking for.

A little more on the truck's mission:
- Daily driver for the next 3 years
- 5th wheel hauler for the rest of it's life

So, diesel long bed is what I'm looking for. Not really interested in a dually. I want my wife to be able to park the truck. :)

OP
OP
svanarts

svanarts

Reaction score
Ram Year

AWSpinks

Reaction score
Ram Year
79,90,14,16x2,20
Engine
79=360 Cummins on the rest
I bought several new ram pickups for the ranch over the last few years. Something I've found is you can generally get a new "old stock" truck late in the year like Sept through Dec at about the same as a late model used one. If you are planning on financing the interest rate will also be much friendlier. Just a thought.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can generally get a new "old stock" truck late in the year like Sept through Dec at about the same as a late model used one. If you are planning on financing the interest rate will also be much friendlier.
This is good advice. I got my '19 Classic new in mid-'20 and my '22 Charger new in mid-'23, saved a good bit on both of them.

Can't be as picky on options or color if you are going after leftovers, but if you are willing to take a less popular combination you can get a deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357