New member. Really need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnaboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello guys and girls,

Really needing some tech help here. I've got a 2007 Ram with 5.7 hemi that is killing me. Here's the story:

In March 2022 it suddenly started running like ****. Pulled a cyl 7 injector open code. Tested with noid and no pulse on 7. Ordered replacement PCM on ebay and replaced. All fixed and truck ran great for a couple months. In June truck started running like ****. Pulled code and had a cyl 3 injector open code. No pulse in No.3 cyl. Sent computer back for warranty. Got replacement and noted truck cleared code, but ran like ****. Then wouldn't start. Gas in oil. Sent computer back and got money back. Changed oil. Bought another computer and installed. Started, but ran like ****. Code showed 1-8 cylinders injector circuit open. Bought another computer (4th) and installed. Prior to start up pulled every ground I can see. Cleaned and tightened. Replaced battery terminals. Ensure battery charged. Start up and it ran like **** and smells like gas. Ran code and I have 1-8 cylinder injector circuit open. Losing my mind at this point. Does anyone have any idea? Help!!

Walter

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I am asking for it but here goes. are you sure that its the computer? 4 of them and its showing the same problem? Gas in the oil, how is the fuel getting past the rings ? Have you checked for possibly a bad injector or a bad coil? you can get a multi misfire code and it only be one bad coil. Ask me how i know.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just re-read you post and saw that it was a 5.7. Different animal than my 4.7, but still the same questions. I could have edited my previous post but I learn from reading my own mistakes instead of deleting them.

OP
OP
M

magnaboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Checked all injectors with VOM and all reading 12.3-12.4 ohm. Ran engine for a few minutes and checked the misfire counts for each cylinder. Cylinders 1-5-6-7-8 show single digit misfires whereas 2-3-4 each show hundreds, but not throwing a code for misfire on any cylinder. Original computer lost No. 7 injector output but no other issues. 2nd computer lost No. 3 injector output but no other issues. The 3rd computer I installed indicated all injector open circuit on all 8 cylinders and somehow I ended up with fuel in my crankcase. Current computer (4th) also shows all 8 cylinders injector open circuit and I can smell raw fuel when it starts. Been all over this thing and I'm missing something but damned if I can find it.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ole Buck has some good points. 4 bad replacement PCMs? The odds of that are extremely rare - rare enough that if you actually had 4 bad ones, you need to go buy a lottery ticket.

Have you checked you fuse box for any corrosion? If your injectors are sticking open, that's how you are getting fuel into your oil.

KDT1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems you need to run a compression test. Have you replaced all 16 spark plugs?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got to have some injectors that are stuck open or are leaking, that's why the fuel in the oil, hard to believe that all injectors are bad, looks like the engine has to be plugged into a scanner to check the injector pulse for each cylinder, I would change the oil before you do engine damage and have it checked by a professional, also you may be having problems with the TIPM,(totally integrated power module, located under your main fuse panel.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Is it possible you have a bad PCV? I know this sounds too simple but I'm throwing it out there because of gas in oil. That'd throw codes too

Leif Helason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it was me, I would listen to these guys about the TIPM. I am fortunate. My 5.7 has almost 260k on it. engine was replaced before I got it. Valve seats went bad on the original engine. I've got one low beam out. has tons of other electrical quirks too. I need to replace my TIPM. All electrical connections in these trucks run through the fuse box. The TIPM is a known issue over time with these. Find the obvious answer, the the adjacent problem. Love my Dodge but each vehicle has their own issues due to poor engineering. The TIPM is one. Running rough might be a timing issue, coil packs, or TIPM. If i remeber correctly your truck also is one of the ones with the VVT. TIPM again.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you pull the sparks plugs, and run compression tests Sounds like something beside computor