New Oil change question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
So I was wondering today. What if you changed oil first thing in the morning without starting etc, would it be good because the oil has time to drain all night back into the oil pan? Just a question.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've changed my oil in all different situations (Cold, Hot, Just driven, etc.).

Generally a lot on consensus is that you run the engine a while to get the oil hot and flowing. Then drain the oil and you get more of it with suspended particles, trash, etc. out.

I've seen no ill effects doing oil changes any certain way. The main thing is to use a good oil, oil filter, and change regularly on a normal basis.

-Don

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I was wondering today. What if you changed oil first thing in the morning without starting etc, would it be good because the oil has time to drain all night back into the oil pan? Just a question.

If the motor was hot when you shut it down the only thing I would see is that it would take longer to drain out with the oil being cold. Otherwise I don't see a problem with it..

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The flip side of that is when you start an engine after an oil change, it has no oil pressure or circulation until the lube system is primed.

So do you want to run a few seconds on cold, drained bearings, or warm ones with a fresh oil film?

For the record I agree with Don it’s no big deal either way.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The methodology is not nearly as important as the frequency. After all, 5-10% (or something like that) of the old oil remains in however you do the change. No need to overthink things, just change at the proper times.

OP
OP
dale197338

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
Ya I've changed oil main different ways as well was just pondering this idea. Logically you'd think all the nastiness would be in the oil pan due to sitting all night, I see the point of the old oil not flowing as well cold vs warm. Like I said was just thinking of this just curious really lol. Damn cona gives us alot of time to think of crazy things I guess.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are three things I am consistent about, drain it hot, let it drain till the last drop, & saturate the new filter media before install. There are times I get started on something else and don't fill it till the next day. Nick

Villalobos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Best time to change the oil is when it needs it lol. However, for scientific research, change it hot, put it in a container and mark the level, run it through a strainer. Then do the way you described and do the same thing. Might be able to see if you get more oil and crap out, who knows. Might be fun and kill some time!

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i usually go to the store get the oil and filter and when i get home i drain the oil

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Change your oil on a regular basis and you'll do fine.My only suggestion would be to fill your new filter with oil before installing

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There are times I get started on something else and don't fill it till the next day. Nick

I hope you don't forget and crank the truck up the next day!

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I don't forget, I do all my work in the garage, (only flat surface I have). I leave the hood up, drain pan in place, & new oil & filter sitting in plain sight. Keys are with me. Nick

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
I am almost 57 years old snd I have changed the oil in everything I have ever owned since I was a kid with a dirt bike. Lawnmowers, tractors cars, trucks, racing motorcycles, and Motorhome’s that hold 6-7 gallons. In all those years and the hundreds of oil changes I have yet to see all this sludge and trash that everyone speaks of. If there are any particles in the oil they will get caught in the oil filter not lying on the bottom of the pan. I think as stated above it’s the frequency followed by the quality of the oil that matters. These modern engines with 5w-20 or 0w-20 in some cases the oil is like water and shouldn’t need to be hot or even warm to flow out easily. With that said I warm mine slightly before draining.

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I didn’t obsess over oil change routine. (I don't do my own any more) Hot, cold, I didn’t care too much. I don’t think a couple ounces of left over oil will contaminate over a gallon of new oil and render it “old”.

Jim Ballantyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree that the most important thing you can do is change your oil on a regular basis. More often if you are towing or off road in dusty dirty conditions or idling for long periods. I would never use the percent Oil life remaining on the instrument display to gage when to change oil. At times it has shown 60% remaining and I have driven 5K miles.

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have become a fan of doing it when the engine is cold. Not so much for the oil's sake but for my own. On most of the vehicle's I've had in the last 20 years the filter, and sometime the drain plug, are next to really hot things. I burned myself once and decided that getting that extra 20 drops out of the motor is not as important as preserving my flesh. I do them cold and let them drain all the way. Some cars get the filter pre-filled, some can't because they are at a weird angle. My current 2020 Ram filter is a wonder to change- I'm going to look into a second wrist joint being surgically installed just to reach the filter. I've only changed it once so far but did put a hit out on the guy who torqued the filter down to 138 foot pounds. Whoever decided it had to be torqued down or used thread locker will have a special place in hell (not at the cool kids table where I'm reserved). Considering where the Ram's filter is located I doubt the red hot exhaust pipe and scalding oil dripping will make the job easier. Ram could learn about oil filter location from my son's 2006 Tacoma- it's right on the top. Even has a little funnel like lip to channel the dripped oil onto a rag or directly onto the ground.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
There are three things I am consistent about, drain it hot, let it drain till the last drop, & saturate the new filter media before install. There are times I get started on something else and don't fill it till the next day. Nick

When I worked for NAPA years ago we had a local mechanic come in after doing an oil change on a Ford & got distracted for several hours, he changed the filter, added the oil & started the car, it wouldn't pick up the oil, IIRC they had to drop the pan & put an oil pump in it.

Octane

Reaction score
I like to change it oil warm.Oil and residue flows out better.I've done it cold a few times. But of course I use the best oil and filter in the world today. And I always fill my new filter with oil before installing

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Those thin assed oils flow just fine from the pan after draining all night.

Starting an engine that drained all night just to get the oil up so you can drain it back down doesn't make any sense.

I do mine cold all the time and have for many decades. Just let it drain a while.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Start it, get it up to normal operating temperature, pull into lift bay, put up on lift, drain oil when still hot, more dirt and debris is suspended and it flows better, wait till it slows to a drip, clean and reinstall plug, change filter, fill with oil if possible.

Just what I do and what I think is best. But to each their own. No right or wrong, regular maintenance as said, and using good quality oil and filters is the key.