Newbie Looking for a Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curly Bill

Reaction score
Ram Year
To Be Determined
Engine
To Be Determined
I’m looking for a used Dodge pickup truck. I have not owned a Dodge truck since the early 80’s and I’m clueless on the specific model truck I’m looking for now. I want to tap into the collective knowledge/experience of this forum to get some solid advice.
I’m looking for a 2500 with a 6 cylinder diesel engine. I want the engine to be a model that has the least electronic control. I prefer an automatic transmission, 2 or 4-wheel drive. I expect the truck I find will be a high mileage unit and will require a through mechanical overhaul to get the level of dependability and reliability I am looking for. I appreciate your help in advance!

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The only 6 cyl diesel they offer is the cummins and you don't get to pick what electronics there are controlling it. Majority of what you will see are automatic trans 4wd, if you want something else you will probly have to look for it intentionally.

Budget, year range, and what you are using it for are all important details that you didn't give....

....and you put this thread in the news section....maybe one of the mods will move it for you.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is there a specific year you are looking for?

OP
OP
C

Curly Bill

Reaction score
Ram Year
To Be Determined
Engine
To Be Determined
I have no specific year in mind. I would consider any year that met the engine requirements. I expect there were certain years that were equipped with engine/drivetrain combo’s noted for above average reliability and that’s what I’m looking for.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’m looking for a 2500 with a 6 cylinder diesel engine. I want the engine to be a model that has the least electronic control.
Sounds like your interested in a pre-DPF truck, so anything 2007 and before (not the 2007.5 model year). The 2007.5-2012 trucks have a DPF but no DEF.
'98 was the last year for mechanical injection, 2003-2007 has the CP3 high pressure common rail injection(electronic).

OP
OP
C

Curly Bill

Reaction score
Ram Year
To Be Determined
Engine
To Be Determined
Thanks crash68, your info is exactly what I was looking for.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They were called HO for high output diesels, and are some of the best diesels ever made, me and my brother had them he had 2. 1994 through 1998 cummins has no computer famous 12 valve, easy to turn them into vegi oil burners. The secret is out, they are commanding more money then ever. The HO are incredible rams, lifetime rigs imo, but they are known to have auto transmission slippage. You have a great engine, top 5 engine of all time, and behind it you have a average transmission and that is being kind. The 12 valves well are hard to find parts for and often are not very efficient. You can find a good one and get better mielage then rams today, but it is hit and miss, many have problems. What really seperated HO was pressures, which also can cause issues, stuff like fuel pumps.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hell, in those days, Burla we were running the old Torqueflite 727's.

I remember crawling under there and tightening shift bands every so often.

I used to get free waste fuel from work from customer witness tests of our Cummins Generators.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hell, in those days, Burla we were running the old Torqueflite 727's.

I remember crawling under there and tightening shift bands every so often.

I used to get free waste fuel from work from customer witness tests of our Cummins Generators.
My brother had to go to arizona because year one of the HO you couldnt buy in CA. He was actually pining for the new diesel they were talking about for a year before it came available at TDR. It was a personal business truck, he towed heavy, as in real heavy. He lost his first transmission in 6 mos which ram did pay for.. They actually told him they werent paying for anymore because it was a work truck which does void warranty. He blasted through 2 more transmissions within 3 years as I remember it. It killed him because this truck was more of a friend then a work truck all he put into it. The good news is the HO was still being produced, so he went to the manual transmission, never looked back now he had a bullet proof combo absent a fuel/diesel pump he did have to replace, probably injectors as well.

The next year or two CA started selling the HO, but they had a pi s s poor version they had sold for a year, ask me how I know? Yeah I was a dummy that bought one.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will probably want a '94 -'98 12 valve, if you can find one. NO electronics, NO emissions except catalytic converter.
Only needs a power wire to the start solenoid to run, and you can bypass it and use a cable.
Check frame and body carefully, for rust. Front suspension has issues due to weight of Cummins.
You'll be lucky to find a decent one for under $10k, closer to $15k.
You will need to get a trans rebuild, tons of options, but expect to spend $8k plus.
Basically a lifetime motor in a 10 year truck.

OP
OP
C

Curly Bill

Reaction score
Ram Year
To Be Determined
Engine
To Be Determined
Thanks Racer9, the 94-98 is the truck I’m going to start looking for. I have heard good things about the 12 valve engine. In addition, thanks for throwing in some “budget” numbers; as well as, problem areas to pay attention to.

Taifun7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had a 2007 2wd Cummins bought in Texas ( no rust ) and had years and years and miles and miles on that Cummins , what a great combination for towing. Traded in recently for a 2020 Laramie 2wd 5.7 . Hope you find what your looking for.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If you can find a 2008 to 2014 truck in your price range I wouldn't balk.

Only prob with those is the DPF, which depending on where you live can be removed. Too many issues with the 2007.5...but for 08 and beyond RAM fixed most problems and the 6 speeds should be readily available too. The 6.7CTD is hands down better than the 5.9 and between RAM and the aftermarket the 68RFE is well and truly fixed. IMHO the Gen4 is the one to have as the interior is light years better than the Gen3 (and earlier trucks) which is essentially the same underneath the skin. Easy to work on too!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat