Nitrogen vs Air In Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bunion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
5.7L PIG EDITION
My truck came with nitrogen. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't know much about it. Any downsides? Besides going to the dealer everytime I need air?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You can put compressed air in them if you have to, atmospheric air is 78% nitrogen

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nitrogen seems like a gimmick to me. Dealer wanted something stupid like $200 for a nitrogen fill. Thing is you still will loose pressure from parasitic losses, but there's lesser impact on changes in pressure with temperature swings. I figure truck has TPMS, its not like I have to check with my pocket gauge every week to see if I'm low, she'll tell me when I needs an air-up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
It's more important with low-profile stickier tires, they build more heat and the pressures have wider swings. Pure nitrogen is much easier to know what will happen to the pressures as you push them to their limits.

Most Discount Tires have begun stocking nitrogen, and 200 bucks seems crazy but I've only ever seen prices for sportscars and BMW tops off the tires at no charge with the oil/engine service.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
I've been running it in everything from my bikes to my autos since 08-09 some where around then.
I get more miles from my bike tires with it.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
If some place is telling you it's gonna be $200 for Nitrogen, that is just pure crazy.

Right now, I am getting my tires services at Costco as it is a free balance/rotation for life of tire and flat repair as well.

They only fill the tires up with nitrogen and I can swing by and fill up for free if I need any more.

Might not be a big deal but with the winter we had, sure it didn't hurt with the temps goin all wonky on us.

Mr.Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran nitrogen in 2 tires and air in 2 tires on my last car and saw no pressure differences under any circumstances.

OP
OP
Bunion

Bunion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
5.7L PIG EDITION
My dealer said it's free top ups. $200 seems crazy to me.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
With the winter just finishing and the warmer weather coming around, make sure to change out the winter air for summer air. You want to make sure the pressure doesn't stay low with the winter air :gr_grin::gr_grin:

On that note, also don't forget to exchange the blinker fluid as well. Every 50k blinks or 8 months, which ever comes first and you need to flush the system out.

cullen17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nitrogen vs Air seems really pointless in street vehicles. We used Nitrogen in our race cars because the pressure changes less with temperature changes but in a street vehicle the changes wont be big enough to matter. When i was looking at new cars a dealer wanted $350 because the tires on the car had nitrogen in them which is ridiculous.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
How they get people to take the deal on Nitrogen is to include tire warranty. Mine has three years tire warranty. I would of bickered to not pay the fee but three years of warranty on tires is good. Anything goes wrong, it's fixed free of charge.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
I've always paid 0, nada, nothing for nitrogen in my tires.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
Nitrogen vs Air seems really pointless in street vehicles. We used Nitrogen in our race cars because the pressure changes less with temperature changes but in a street vehicle the changes wont be big enough to matter.
Someone gave you bad scoop. Race teams use nitrogen because it's a convenient and cheap source of dry gas. N2 expands the same as much as air per the Ideal Gas Law. Dried and bottled air would work as well.

It's more important with low-profile stickier tires, they build more heat and the pressures have wider swings. Pure nitrogen is much easier to know what will happen to the pressures as you push them to their limits.
If the air in your truck tires are hitting the 220deg and therefore moisture is flashing into steam, something is wrong.

Most race tires have an optimum carcass temp of 180-190deg. The temp of the air inside of them is a bit less than that. Moisture inside the tires can flash into steam in a poorly set up car who's tires are being pushed too hard, but it's generally an indicator of something else being wrong...probably associated with brakes heating up the wheels too much.

-Racing for 7yrs

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On that note, also don't forget to exchange the blinker fluid as well. Every 50k blinks or 8 months, which ever comes first and you need to flush the system out.

My blinker fluid is just below half so I am good for awhile but, it looks like it might need a flush.

JydbOeg_zps105fe3c3.jpg

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha ha ha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
My blinker fluid is just below half so I am good for awhile but, it looks like it might need a flush.

JydbOeg_zps105fe3c3.jpg

Hahaha, that is awesome! But glad you're checking the fluid, most people let it run out and then it gets expensive to take care of the empty blinker.

MACH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my silverado I had the PSI in my tires would fluctuate 10PSI in wierd temps. I was sick of having to fill and let out air all the time.

I had Nitrogen put in and never had to mess with it again.

My ram and my wifes grand cherokee, I don't get the fluctations so I haven't switched over to Nitrogen yet.

I don't know what it was about that stinking silverado. I had new LTX MS2's on it and it still did it.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
On my silverado I had the PSI in my tires would fluctuate 10PSI in wierd temps. I was sick of having to fill and let out air all the time.

I had Nitrogen put in and never had to mess with it again.

My ram and my wifes grand cherokee, I don't get the fluctations so I haven't switched over to Nitrogen yet.

I don't know what it was about that stinking silverado. I had new LTX MS2's on it and it still did it.
Rule of thumb for pressure change due to temp is 1psi/10degF. But again, all gases obey the Ideal Gas Law reasonably well so nothing magic about how N2 responds to temp. When experience seems to violate physics, something is being overlooked.

Mr.Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a $200 charge for it on my window sticker. I told the dealer I didn't want it and he could take the Nitrogen out. He said that was crazy. I told him no crazier than charging $200 for it. He removed that off price of truck at that point.