No Bus odometer and dead cluster?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Holley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 ,5.9 , 98,581 miles
A few days a ago my gauges stopped working and my ABS, check engine and brake lights came on. In the odometer, the mileage will show for about 3 seconds, then it changes to NO Bus. When the key is turned on the gauges move slightly but thats it.
I spoke to a long time dodge service manager and he said he remembers there being issues with some of the clusters in the 99-01 model years , but there were no recalls. He searched his data base and found a couple mentions of cause being a burnt circuit board on the cluster, to the PCM failing. Do any of you have any info on this?

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
If the truck doesn't die when you see NOBUS on the odometer, then it doesn't sound like the PCM is bad. I would start by checking the plugs and wiring to the cluster. Something is grounding the signal to the cluster somewhere. If you don't find anything, maybe hit a parts yard for a cluster out of another vehicle and see if it works.

OP
OP
B

Brian Holley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is there a wiring diagram on here somewhere that shows what all is on the BUS circuit?

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
There is a link on this board to the second gen dodge ram factory service manual. There are a number of wiring diagrams in section 8 I believe. Look in the 2nd Gen DIY section. There is a sticky with the link to download the manual.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 ,5.9 , 98,581 miles
A few days a ago my gauges stopped working and my ABS, check engine and brake lights came on. In the odometer, the mileage will show for about 3 seconds, then it changes to NO Bus. When the key is turned on the gauges move slightly but thats it.
I spoke to a long time dodge service manager and he said he remembers there being issues with some of the clusters in the 99-01 model years , but there were no recalls. He searched his data base and found a couple mentions of cause being a burnt circuit board on the cluster, to the PCM failing. Do any of you have any info on this?

Probably not your issue but similar year and problem, good watch, i learned stuff. Its a three part deal.

OP
OP
B

Brian Holley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, update time, I tried a thing I found on another page that said if I hold the trip meter in, then turn the key to the on position and release the trip button, it will cause the instruments to go into check mode. They said all gauges should sweep over and back and all lights should come on then off. Well I did it, "check" popped up in the odometer and nothing happened, then it started flashing codes 900,920,921,940,950,999. They said if the gauges didn't seep and lights come on the cluster is bad. Do any of you k now if this is true? I had the cluster out and looked over the circuit board, I didn't see any obvious burnt places. I put the cluster back in and while I was hooking up the shift indicator I looked up and the gauges were working. I had also just checked the plug on what I think was the clock timer? so I don't know which caused them to work , BUT they quit again and I can't get the back on. As to the clock timer it was affixed with 2 screws to the steel support right of the steering column. If the timer was bad would the truck run? Mine runs even with the instruments pulled. Also do you guys know of anyone who repairs clusters? I am only finding GM and Ford, the dodges are only 2002 and newer

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
You may need to source a cluster from a parts yard. However, it sounds like a loose connection or broken wire may be your problem since when you reinstalled the cluster, it came back to life for a moment. I believe the truck will still run if it has a bad CTM.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it were just the lights and speedo on the fritz, I'd swear your speed sensor was bad on the rear differential. This might not be that simple, but you can check it first, so you don't go too crazy to start.

OP
OP
B

Brian Holley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to look that direction as I just had new tires put on the day before this all started. I'm hoping they just knocked something loose

Reactions: Mop

Audiojim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the truck doesn't die when you see NOBUS on the odometer, then it doesn't sound like the PCM is bad. I would start by checking the plugs and wiring to the cluster. Something is grounding the signal to the cluster somewhere. If you don't find anything, maybe hit a parts yard for a cluster out of another vehicle and see if it works.
Sir, I own and operate a car audio automotive electronics business for over 3 decades. I've had crazy issues with Dodge and Chrysler since the late '90s. Yesterday I had a customers bring a 05 Dodge ram 1500 to me that he bought at auction that had all types of wiring issues such as radio issues speaker issues door switch issues. He also wanted me to disable his seat belt warning chime. I got on another form and I was told to cut a purple and orange stripe wire lower drivers kick going to that control module under the emergency brake. Once I cut that wire I crank the engine and at that time none of the gauges work all the engine and dash lights came on and it said no bus. Yesterday I unhooked the battery cables touch them together, left negative off for half an hour, checked all fuses it all connections at that module. I reconnected the purple with orange stripe wire I still could not get the cluster to come back on. So last resort at 11:00 p.m. last night I unhooked both cables from the battery left them off all night. I walked out to truck 20 minutes ago hooked both cables back up crank the engine and all the instrument cluster gauges and everything works perfect on the truck now. I think it's a gift from God to be honest. But that tells me for certain Dodge Chrysler Jeep computer and modules do not completely shut down unless you take power from them overnight. I praise God right now there was his help I got this truck back functioning properly. I will now have a happy 4th of july. Good luck with solving your problems Dodge ram fans.